With 1.8 million asylum seekers (UN reports) crossing Western Europe’s external borders in 2015, the European border security agencies are facing challenges with a far greater reach than ever before. More than 1000 ISIS-trained jihadists returning to Europe every year, coupled with the surge of migrants to Europe are alarming concerns; as present capabilities of the European border, coast guard, intelligence services and immigration agencies simply cannot meet these challenges.
The EU-Turkey deal (if implemented) might lead to a significant decrease in the flow of refugees (by March-April 2016 the rate of migrants entering Greece declined by 90%). However, the agreement faces formidable practical, political and legal challenges (e.g., each and every one of the 22 EU parliaments has to endorse the treaty).
In the aftermath of the migration crisis and the Paris and Brussels terror attacks, a major overhaul of the Western European border security and immigration infrastructure, strategy, border security technology development and funding is already underway.
Following a 2010 to 2015 annual market growth of 10-13% the 2015 to 2020 annual border security market will surge by 104%.
The "European Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Markets – 2016-2022" report is the most comprehensive review of the border security market available today. It provides a detailed and reasoned roadmap of this growing security market.
The European Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Market is boosted by the following drivers:
- The Western European border security, coast guards, immigration agencies and intelligence agencies are ill-equipped to counter the surge of refugees and 21st century jihadists who use sophisticated means to return to the continent.
- The Schengen Area is comprised of 26 European countries that have abolished border control at their common borders. Several Schengen Area governments reinstated border checkpoints by 2015.
- Europe cannot build a wall to keep out refugees and terrorists or enlist millions of border guards who would need to watch every inch of its over 10,000 land borders and 80,000 coastlines.
- Europol estimates that up to 5,000 European jihadists have already returned to Western Europe after obtaining combat experience on the battlefields of the Middle East.
- On 15 December 2015, the European Commission presented a proposal for a new agency that would replace and succeed Frontex, having a stronger role and mandate, and forming a "European Border and Coast Guard" along with national authorities for border management.
- Of Europe’s approximately 50 countries, Russia has by far the longest coastline as well as the longest land border.
- Western Europe, the largest economy in the world with a 2015 GDP of approximately $22 trillion (vs. the U.S. $17.5 trillion), can invest "whatever it takes" to protect its citizens from the looming jeopardies of mass migration and terrorism using advanced border security technologies.
- The border security and immigration enforcement industry faces a considerable challenge in seeking to provide the necessary solutions to current and future threats. At the same time, this challenge presents multi-billion USD opportunities to the defense, ICT and security industries able to deliver effective functions, integrate systems, and maximize security and productivity per $ invested.
- According to European intelligence services, ISIS has approximately 5000 original European blank passports which can be used by jihadists returning to the EU.
- The EU and the rest of the European border security and immigration infrastructure enforcement market for products and services are served by local defense and security companies. Even with a preference for locally manufactured products, foreign products can usually strongly compete on the basis of cost-performance. They do not encounter any EU direct trade barriers or quotas. Non-tariff, indirect trade barriers may be the approval process of dual use goods, which include many security market products.
- European Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Markets - 2016-2022
2014-2015 Refugee Applications to Europe by Month
Source: The UN
This Europe Border Security report is a resource for executives with interests in the border security system market. It has been explicitly customized for the security industry and other decision-makers in order to identify business opportunities, developing technologies, market trends and risks, as well as to benchmark business plans.
- Customers who purchase a multi-readers license of the report will get the “Global Homeland Security & Public Safety Industry – 2016 Edition” report free of charge. Single-reader license customers will get a 50% discount for the Industry report.
Questions answered in this 289-page report + one - reports include:
- What will the border security market size and trends be during 2016-2022?
- Which are the submarkets that provide attractive business opportunities?
- Who are the decision-makers?
- What drives the immigration enforcement & border security agencies to purchase products and services?
- What are the customers looking for?
- What are the technology & services trends?
- What is the market SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats)?
- What are the challenges to market penetration & growth?
With 289 pages, 31 tables and 49 figures, the “European Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Markets – 2016-2022” report covers 12 countries and regions, 4 technologies and 3 revenue source submarkets, offering for each of them 2015 data and assessments, and 2016-2022 forecasts and analyses.
Why Buy this Report?
A. Border Security Market data is analyzed via 3 key orthogonal perspectives:
With a highly fragmented market we address the “money trail” – each dollar spent – via the following 3 viewpoints:
By 12 Country and Region Markets:
Holland & Belgium
Sweden, Norway, Finland & Denmark
Austria & Switzerland
Hungary & Czech Republic
Rest of Europe
By 3 Revenue Sources including:
Products Sales Revenues
After Sale Revenues Including: Maintenance, Service, Upgrades & Refurbishment
Other Revenues Including: Planning, Training, Consulting, Contracted Services & Government Funded R&D
By 4 Technologies:
Automatic Border Control (ABC) Systems
Border & Perimeter Barriers
Visa Issuance IT Systems
Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Technologies
B. Detailed market analysis frameworks for each of the market sectors, including:
Market drivers & inhibitors
The 2015-2022 market segmented by 36 submarkets
C. The Europe Border Security report includes the following 5 appendices:
Appendix A: European Homeland Security & Public Safety Related Product Standards
Appendix B: The European Union Challenges and Outlook
Appendix C: Europe Migration Crisis & Border Security
Appendix D: Abbreviations
D. The border security market report addresses over 300 European Homeland Security and Public Safety standards (including links)
E. The supplementary ( - ) “Global Homeland Security & Public Safety Industry – 2016 Edition" report provides the following insights and analysis of the industry including:
The Global Industry 2016 status
Effects of Emerging Technologies on the Industry
The Market Trends
Vendor – Government Relationship
Geopolitical Outlook 2016-2022
The Industry Business Models & Strategies
Market Entry Challenges
The Industry: Supply-Side & Demand-Side Analysis
Market Entry Strategies
Past Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) Events
F. The supplementary ( - ) “Global Homeland Security & Public Safety Industry – 2016 Edition” report provides a May 2016 updated extensive data (including company profile, recent annual revenues, key executives, homeland security and public safety products, and contact info.) of the leading 119 Homeland Security and Public Safety vendors including:
ADT Security Services
Agent Video Intelligence
Airbus Defence and Space
Alcatel-Lucent (Nokia Group)
American Science & Engineering Inc.
BioEnable Technologies Pvt Ltd
Bollinger Shipyards, Inc
Bosch Security Systems
China Security & Surveillance, Inc.
Cognitec Systems GmbH
Computer Network Limited (CNL)
Computer Sciences Corporation
DRS Technologies Inc.
Elbit Systems Ltd.
Fulcrum Biometrics LLC
General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc.
General Dynamics Corporation
Getac Technology Corporation
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Honeywell International Inc.
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd
IPS Intelligent Video Analytics
Iris ID Systems, Inc.
Israel Aerospace Industries Ltd.
L-3 Security & Detection Systems
Lockheed Martin Corporation
Milestone Systems A/S
Motorola Solutions, Inc.
Northrop Grumman Corporation
Nuance Communications, Inc.
Rapiscan Systems, Inc.
Rockwell Collins, Inc.
Smart China (Holdings) Limited
Smiths Detection Inc.
Speech Technology Center
Tandu Technologies & Security Systems Ltd
Zhejiang Dahua Technology
1 Europe's Terror & Migration Crisis: Key Findings
2 Europe's Terror & Migration Crisis: Key Conclusions
3 European Immigration Enforcement Market - 2016-2022
3.2 Major Findings
3.3 Key Conclusions
3.4 Major Challenges
3.5 Europe's 2015 Refugee Crisis
3.6 Immigration Enforcement Market Background
3.7 The EU Internal Borders
3.8 Schengen Visas
3.9 Schengen Information System
3.11 The External Borders Fund
3.12 The Prüm Treaty
3.13 SWOT Analysis
3.15 European Immigration Enforcement Market - 2015-2022
4 European Smart Borders & Border Security Market - 2016-2022
4.2 The European Borders Security
4.2.2 The Schengen Area
4.2.3 European Integrated Border Management (IBM)
4.2.4 The EU Smart Borders Initiative
4.2.5 The Schengen Zone: Passenger Name Record (PNR) System Outlook
4.2.6 The 2014-2015 European Migration Surge
4.2.7 Temporary Reintroduction of Border Control
4.3 European Smart & Secure Border Market
4.3.1 Europe Smart Borders Projects
4.3.2 Visas Requirements
184.108.40.206 Post Visa Liberalization Monitoring Mechanism
220.127.116.11 Schengen Evaluation Mechanism
18.104.22.168 FRONTEX Procurement Process
4.4 Major Findings
4.5 Major Conclusions
4.6 Market Background
4.7 The Defense Industry vs. the Smart Borders & Border Security Market
4.8 European Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Market: SWOT Analysis
4.9 Business Models & Strategies
4.9.1 Variable Economic Conditions
4.9.2 Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Market Tiers
4.9.3 Border Security Market Business Opportunities & Challenges
4.9.4 Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Market Competitive Analysis
5 European Automatic Border Control (ABC) Systems Market - 2016-2022
5.1 Automatic Border Control (ABC) Technologies and Market Background
5.1.1 The European Automatic Border Control Market Background
5.2 The European Automated Border Control: ABC4EU Project
5.2.1 ABC4EU Project: Scope
5.2.2 ABC4EU Project Test & Validation:
5.2.3 The ABC4EU Project Proposal
5.2.4 ABC4EU Project Activities
5.2.5 The 2015 European Project Status
5.2.6 The ABC4EU Project Impacts
5.2.7 Biometric Automatic Border Control (ABC) Advantages
5.3 Automated Border Control Technologies
5.3.1 Airport Automated Border Control Market Background
5.3.2 Function of Automated Border Control
5.4 European Automated Border Control Systems Standards
5.5 European Automated Border Control Legislation
5.6 Automatic Border Control Systems Industry: SWOT Analysis
5.7 European Automatic Border Control (ABC) Systems Market - 2015-2022
6 European Border & Perimeter Barriers Market - 2016-2022
6.1 European Border & Perimeter Barriers Technology and Market Background
6.2 European Border Barriers
6.2.1 Hungarian Border Barrier
6.2.2 Greek Border Barrier
6.2.3 Austria Border Barrier
6.2.4 Bulgarian Border Barrier
6.2.5 Macedonian Border Barrier
6.2.6 Slovenian Border Barrier
6.2.7 Northern Ireland Border Barrier
6.2.8 Estonia Border Barrier
6.2.9 Spain Border Barriers
22.214.171.124 Ceuta Border Fence
126.96.36.199 Melilla Border Fence
6.2.10 Gibraltar Border Fence
6.2.11 Russia-Ukraine Barrier
6.3 European Border & Perimeter Barriers Market - 2015-2022
7 European Visa Issuance IT Market - 2016-2022
7.2 European Visa Issuance IT Technology & Market Background
7.2.1 The 2015 Asylum Database
7.3 The European Visa Information (Technology) System (VIS)
7.4 The Schengen Area Visa
7.4.1 Schengen Area Visa States
7.4.2 On the Road to EU membership / Candidate Countries
7.4.3 Potential candidates
7.4.4 Visa Exemptions
7.4.5 Who Needs a Schengen Visa?
7.4.6 Schengen Visa Types
188.8.131.52 Uniform Schengen Visas (USV)
184.108.40.206 Limited Territorial Validity Visas (LTV)
220.127.116.11 National Visas
7.4.7 Schengen Visa Fee
7.4.8 Schengen VISA Statistics 2014
7.5 Russian Federation Visa IT
7.6 European Visa Issuance IT Market - 2015-2022
8 European Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Market - 2015-2022
8.1 Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Market by Country - 2015-2022
8.1.1 2015 Market Size & 2016-2022 Market Forecast
8.1.2 Market Dynamics by Country - 2016-2022
8.1.3 Market Breakdown by Country - 2015-2022
8.2 Market by Revenue Source - 2015-2022
8.2.1 2015 Market Size & 2016-2022 Market Forecast
8.2.2 Market Dynamics by Revenue Source - 2016-2022
8.2.3 Market Breakdown by Revenue Source - 2015-2022
8.3 UK Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Market - 2015-2022
8.4 France Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Market - 2015-2022
8.5 Belgium Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Market - 2015-2022
8.6 Germany Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Market - 2015-2022
8.7 Austria & Switzerland: Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Market - 2015-2022
8.8 Italy Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Market - 2015-2022
8.9 Spain Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Market - 2015-2022
8.1 Poland Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Market - 2015-2022
8.11 Hungary & Czech Republic: Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Market - 2015-2022
8.12 Russia Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Market - 2015-2022
8.13 Rest of Europe: Smart Borders, Immigration Enforcement & Border Security Market - 2015-2022
9 Appendix A: European Homeland Security & Public Safety Related Product Standards
9.1 European Committee for Standardization (CEN)
9.2 European Homeland Security and Public Safety Standards
9.3 EU Buildings & Perimeter Security Standards & Specifications
10 Appendix B: The European Union Challenges and Outlook
10.2 The EU Economy
10.3 Anti-EU Trends
10.4 The EU Frail Leadership and Poor Strategic Vision
10.5 Migration and Refugee Crisis
10.6 European Security Worries
10.8 EU Future Scenarios
11 Appendix C: Europe Migration Crisis & Border Security
11.2 EU Migration: Background
11.3 The European Borders Security
11.3.2 The Schengen Area
11.3.3 The European Integrated Border Management System (IBM)
11.3.4 The EU Smart Borders Initiative
11.3.5 The Schengen Zone: Passenger Name Record (PNR) System Outlook
11.3.6 Temporary Reintroduction of Border Control
11.4 European Smart & Secure Border Market
12 Appendix D: Abbreviations
13 Scope, Methodology & Disclaimer
13.1 Research Scope
13.2 Research Methodology
14 Disclaimer & Copyright
- ACTi Corporation
- ADT Security Services
- AeroVironment Inc.
- Agent Video Intelligence
- Airbus Defence and Space
- Alcatel-Lucent (Nokia Group)
- American Science & Engineering Inc.
- Aralia Systems
- AT&T Inc.
- Augusta Systems
- Avigilon Corporation
- BAE Systems
- BioEnable Technologies Pvt Ltd
- BioLink Solutions
- Bollinger Shipyards, Inc
- Bosch Security Systems
- Bruker Corporation
- China Security & Surveillance, Inc.
- Cisco Systems
- Cognitec Systems GmbH
- Computer Network Limited (CNL)
- Computer Sciences Corporation
- DRS Technologies Inc.
- Elbit Systems Ltd.
- Elsag Datamat
- Emerson Electric
- Finmeccanica SpA
- Fulcrum Biometrics LLC
- General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc.
- General Dynamics Corporation
- Getac Technology Corporation
- Hanwha Techwin
- Harris Corporation
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise
- Hexagon AB
- Honeywell International Inc.
- Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd
- Intel Security
- IntuVision Inc
- IPS Intelligent Video Analytics
- Iris ID Systems, Inc.
- IriTech Inc.
- Israel Aerospace Industries Ltd.
- L-3 Security & Detection Systems
- Leidos, Inc.
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Mer group
- Milestone Systems A/S
- Motorola Solutions, Inc.
- National Instruments
- NEC Corporation
- NICE Systems
- Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Nuance Communications, Inc.
- Panasonic Corporation
- QinetiQ Limited
- Rapiscan Systems, Inc.
- Rockwell Collins, Inc.
- Safran S.A.
- Salient Sciences
- Schneider Electric
- Smart China (Holdings) Limited
- Smiths Detection Inc.
- Sony Corp.
- Speech Technology Center
- Suprema Inc.
- Synectics Plc
- Tandu Technologies & Security Systems Ltd
- Texas Instruments
- Textron Inc.
- Thales Group
- Total Recall
- Unisys Corporation
- Vialogy LLC
- Vigilant Technology
- Zhejiang Dahua Technology