Our International Trend Studies have been conducted on a biennial basis in the United States for 26 years and in 45 countries internationally since the Year 2000. The resulting database is the longest running of its kind, providing trended shopper insight data to food manufacturers, ingredient suppliers, foodservice establishments, pharmaceutical companies and health organizations. Shopper nutrition and health insights are used to create and support strategy, position and improve brands and track trends.
In Search of Purity, Freshness, Organics & Food Safety
- Purity and nutrition cause concern, with contaminated food ingredients and the undesirable nutrients and ingredients: sodium, trans fats, saturated fat, and sugar at the top of the list. Korean shoppers look for freshness and purity in label statements and say that natural and organic are important.
- Korean shoppers care about the ingredient list. They want fewer ingredients and ingredients that are recognizable. Natural and organic ingredients matter, particularly to older shoppers and in households with children.
- No go for GMOs. Highly aware of genetically modified foods (GMOs), Korean shoppers consider them to be worse than non-GMOs for safety, health, and environmental friendliness. They strongly support labeling any food that contains genetically modified ingredients. Still, nearly half say that not all genetic modification is bad and that genetically modified crops are necessary for feeding the world.
- Korean shoppers keep it clean. They avoid artificial ingredients, additives, and preservatives, and choose foods and beverages made with organic ingredients. Nearly half will pay a price premium for organic foods.
- Respondents maintain a love/hate relationship with processed foods. They say processed foods are not healthy but recognize their necessity for convenience.
1. Introduction and Methodology
2. Executive Summary
3. Detailed Information
- Top 10 Food Concerns
- Freshness & Natural Labeling
- Clean Labels
- Ingredient Recognition
- Simple Ingredient Lists
- Genetically Modified Foods
- Avoiding Additives & Artificial Ingredients
- Natural & Organic
- Responsible Food Choices
- Eco-Friendly Brand Choices
- Environmentally Friendly Purchasing
- Cost of Environmental Choice
- Point of Origin
- Locally Grown