Our International Trend Studies have been conducted on a biennial basis in the United States for 26 years and in 45 countries internationally since the Year 2000. The resulting database is the longest running of its kind, providing trended shopper insight data to food manufacturers, ingredient suppliers, foodservice establishments, pharmaceutical companies and health organizations. Shopper nutrition and health insights are used to create and support strategy, position and improve brands and track trends.
In Search of Purity, Freshness, Organics & Food Safety
- Purity issues cause concern. Brazilian shoppers worry about contamination, growth hormones, pesticides, and preservatives, particularly when they have children at home. Many also name nutrition factors as a source of concern.
- Labels should convey purity, with statements about the lack of preservatives, pesticides, artificial ingredients, and GMOs. Those pertaining to purity matter more to older shoppers, while foods with recognizable and fewer ingredients and free-from statements generate interest among younger respondents.
- GMOs don’t stand up to non-GMOs. Respondents rate GMOs as worse for safety, health, and environmental friendliness and say that GMOs should be labeled. However, many agree that not all genetic modification is bad and say that genetic modification is necessary for the global food supply.
- Sentiment goes against artificial or processed. More Brazilian shoppers than in previous years avoid foods and beverages with artificial ingredients and say that processed foods are not healthy or necessary for convenience. Many decreased their use of these foods.
- Natural and organic ingredients are important, particularly to the young and those with children. Brazilian shoppers have increased their use of both natural and organic foods, along with foods and beverages with organic ingredients. They view organics as healthier, safer, and better quality.
1. Introduction and Methodology
2. Executive Summary
3. Detailed Information
- Top 10 Food Concerns
- Freshness & Natural Labeling
- Clean Labels
- Ingredient Recognition
- Simple Ingredient Lists
- Genetically Modified Foods
- Avoiding Additives & Artificial Ingredients
- Natural & Organic
- Responsible Food Choices
- Eco-Friendly Brand Choices
- Environmentally Friendly Purchasing
- Cost of Environmental Choice
- Point of Origin
- Locally Grown