Our International Trend Studies have been conducted on a biennial basis in the United States for 26 years and in 45 countries internationally since the Year 2000. The resulting database is the longest running of its kind, providing trended shopper insight data to food manufacturers, ingredient suppliers, foodservice establishments, pharmaceutical companies and health organizations. Shopper nutrition and health insights are used to create and support strategy, position and improve brands and track trends.
In Search of Purity, Freshness, Organics & Food Safety
- Worries about purity impact interest in food labels. French shoppers worry about a broad range of food safety issues. They want label statements pertaining to food safety, although freshness continues to be most important.
- Simplicity attracts shoppers. Survey participants are interested in foods with fewer ingredients and say that all ingredients on the label should be familiar and recognizable.
- Say no to GMO. French shoppers are highly aware of genetically modified foods (GMOs) and most view GMOs in a negative light. They support labeling of foods with genetically modified ingredients.
- Avoiding additives and artificial ingredients. A high percentage of French shoppers intentionally avoid foods and beverages with artificial ingredients. Large numbers also choose foods and beverages without additives or preservatives.
- Processed foods come under fire. Processed foods are considered unhealthy by a growing number of respondents. Reported use of processed foods is dropping. A percentage of shoppers, however, agree that processed foods and beverages are necessary for convenience.
- Natural tops organic. French shoppers say that natural is an important influence on brand switching. Compared to organics, use of naturals is rising while organics are decreasing, although a growing number of respondents choose products for their organic ingredients. They describe organic as grown without pesticides/herbicides, safer for the environment, and healthier.
1. Introduction and Methodology
2. Executive Summary
3. Detailed Information
- Top 10 Food Concerns
- Freshness & Natural Labeling
- Clean Labels
- Ingredient Recognition
- Simple Ingredient Lists
- Genetically Modified Foods
- Avoiding Additives & Artificial Ingredients
- Natural & Organic
- Responsible Food Choices
- Eco-Friendly Brand Choices
- Environmentally Friendly Purchasing
- Cost of Environmental Choice
- Point of Origin
- Locally Grown