Our International Trend Studies have been conducted on a biennial basis in the United States for 26 years and in 45 countries internationally since the Year 2000. The resulting database is the longest running of its kind, providing trended shopper insight data to food manufacturers, ingredient suppliers, foodservice establishments, pharmaceutical companies and health organizations. Shopper nutrition and health insights are used to create and support strategy, position and improve brands and track trends.
In Search of Purity, Freshness, Organics & Food Safety
- Participants pursue product purity. Concerned about a number of purity issues, led by preservatives and contamination, Chinese shoppers look for fresh and natural. They try to avoid foods and beverages with artificial ingredients and choose foods and beverages because they don’t contain additives or preservatives.
- Ingredient lists should be short and recognizable. Interest in foods with recognizable and fewer ingredients continues to grow—particularly when children live at home.
- GMOs increasingly generate awareness. Survey participants strongly consider GMOs to be worse than non-GMOs for health, safety, and environmental friendliness. Nearly all respondents agree that foods with genetically modified ingredients should be labeled, but they are divided on whether GMOs are bad or serve a purpose.
- Processed finds its place. Chinese shoppers say that processed foods—with preservatives, a long shelf life, and artificial ingredients—are necessary for convenience. Some are decreasing their use.
- Natural tops organic, but both attract shoppers. Natural and organic ingredients influence brand switching. Growing numbers of shoppers are using more natural and organic foods—particularly in households with children. Respondents perceive organic foods as healthier, free of chemicals and residues, safer, grown without pesticides, and worth paying a higher price for.
1. Introduction and Methodology
2. Executive Summary
3. Detailed Information
- Top 10 Food Concerns
- Freshness & Natural Labeling
- Clean Labels
- Ingredient Recognition
- Simple Ingredient Lists
- Genetically Modified Foods
- Avoiding Additives & Artificial Ingredients
- Natural & Organic
- Responsible Food Choices
- Eco-Friendly Brand Choices
- Environmentally Friendly Purchasing
- Cost of Environmental Choice
- Point of Origin
- Locally Grown