Our International Trend Studies have been conducted on a biennial basis in the United States for 26 years and in 45 countries internationally since the Year 2000. The resulting database is the longest running of its kind, providing trended shopper insight data to food manufacturers, ingredient suppliers, foodservice establishments, pharmaceutical companies and health organizations. Shopper nutrition and health insights are used to create and support strategy, position and improve brands and track trends.
In Search of Purity, Freshness, Organics & Food Safety
- UK shoppers have a wide range of concerns. They worry most about sugar, but also about purity issues, fats, and cost of basic foods. Labels for freshness, no artificial colors/flavors/sweeteners, natural, and other purity features are important.
- Ingredients count. UK shoppers want recognizable ingredients, shorter ingredient lists, and free-from labels. Many avoid foods and beverages with artificial ingredients and always or usually choose foods and beverages that do not contain additives or preservatives.
- Negative to neutral on GMOs. UK shoppers are highly aware of genetically modified foods and support their labeling. While their perception is that GMOs trail non-GMOs in terms of safety, their feelings are more neutral regarding environmental friendliness and health. Many respondents say that not all genetic modification is bad and that it is necessary for feeding the world.
- UK shoppers prefer less processing, saying that processed foods—those with artificial flavors and colors and preservatives—are not healthy. But fewer respondents are decreasing their use of processed foods.
- Natural and organic have limited influence on brand switching. Small percentages of UK shoppers use natural or organic foods, led by the youngest shoppers and those with children.
1. Introduction and Methodology
2. Executive Summary
3. Detailed Information
- Top 10 Food Concerns
- Freshness & Natural Labeling
- Clean Labels
- Ingredient Recognition
- Simple Ingredient Lists
- Genetically Modified Foods
- Avoiding Additives & Artificial Ingredients
- Natural & Organic
- Responsible Food Choices
- Eco-Friendly Brand Choices
- Environmentally Friendly Purchasing
- Cost of Environmental Choice
- Point of Origin
- Locally Grown