This research service examines the application of the main information and communication technologies trends (e.g., Internet of Things, Big Data Analytics, and cloud) in the agricultural industry. By mapping the elements of the IoT ecosystem, the research provides a systematic view of the implementation and opportunities of these trends in the Latin American industry and how technology integration in the agriculture ecosystem will enhance the industry´s efficiency. The study includes drivers and restraints and the main industry challenges, analyzing the need for resource efficiency, socioeconomic environment, and nutrition and health issues.
The Latin American agricultural industry is going through a lot of changes and will gain momentum in 2017. In Latin America, the majority of agricultural production is in the hands of small farmers. So far, these have had limited access to mass-production technologies. The technologies analyzed in the report provide disruptive tech solutions at an affordable cost to the average farmer who will become the transforming agent of the new era of agricultural production. Therefore, a description of the digital transformation taking place in the agricultural vertical of the region is included, analyzing the main enabling technologies that address the challenges faced by farmers in cost-effective ways (e.g., precision agriculture, decision support systems, farm monitoring, wireless sensor networks, global navigation satellite system, machine-to-machine communication, artificial Intelligence, predictive analytics, robotics, and drones).
Additionally, the research service describes the main growth opportunities for companies in the ICT industry, as participants in the evolving ecosystem will become an integral part of the smart agriculture value chain. This includes telecommunication service providers, hardware and software vendors, mobile applications developers, platform and technologies integrators, providers of equipment and machinery, and chipset vendors.
The study also covers the main Mega Trends that impact the agricultural industry in Latin America (ecological issues, the future of infrastructure, adaptability, and the changes in the ecosystem).
Case studies are also included, describing the main technological projects in the agricultural vertical in the region, the objectives, companies, and entities involved as well as the technological partner. Because wireless communication infrastructures, service providers, and data management and analytics hardware and software providers are leading the smart agriculture innovation ecosystem in Latin America, strategic imperatives for success and growth are explained.
This analysis presents some of the technologies that the author believes will shape, grow, and have great relevance within the agricultural industry in Latin America. Because most of the trends covered in the report are at a nascent stage, only qualitative data is provided.
- Key Findings
- Vertical Application of ICT Technologies
4. Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
- Digital Transformation in the Agriculture Ecosystem
- Growth Opportunity—4 ICT Enabling Technologies
- Growth Opportunities—4 Enabling Technologies for Data-intensive Agriculture
- Market Drivers
- Drivers Explained
- Market Restraints
- Restraints Explained
- Mega Trends in Connected Agriculture in Latin America—Trends Summary
- Mega Trends in Connected Agriculture in Latin America—Smart is the New Green
- Mega Trends in Connected Agriculture in Latin America—Future Infrastructure
- Mega Trends in Connected Agriculture in Latin America—Adaptability
- Mega Trends in Connected Agriculture in Latin America—Emerging Ecosystem
- Case Study 1—Tractor Fleet Management in Brazil
- Case Study 2—Socio-environmental Management of Properties in Brazil
- Case Study 3—Drone Technologies in Brazil
- Case Study 4—Livestock Management in Mexico
- Case Study 5—Precision Agriculture in Mexico
- Case Study 6—Productivity Growth in Colombia
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
- Legal Disclaimer