"Failure Case Study: Ferrero Gran Soleil Dessert - Misaligned positioning failed to resonate with shoppers", is part of the author's Successes and Failures research. It examines the details of and reasons behind Ferrero Gran Soleil's negative performance in Italy. It delivers the critical "what?", "why?", and "so what?" analysis to teach you crucial lessons that increase your chances of launching successful products.
Despite being launched in Italy, which is one of the biggest ice cream markets and is home to consumers who are more experimental than the global average when buying ice creams, the new concept of a sorbet sold on the ambient shelves failed to entice Italian shoppers.
- Ambient placement communicated a message to consumers that failed to connect with marketing.
- Coherent communication, from marketing messages through to placement in-store, is crucial to avoid failure.
- Do not compromise on the beneficial credentials of products when developing convenience offerings in Italy, as consumers in the country are reluctant to sacrifice quality.
Reasons to buy
- Use the author’s selection of successful and failed product launches and marketing campaigns from across the globe to inspire innovation.
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the consumer packaged goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.