Targeted at decision makers and planners who require strategic and tactical insight into the opportunity and evolution of the VR market, this report examines the Virtual Reality market opportunity across platforms, hardware, premium content and applications. It provides VR headset adoption forecasts by country across major brands, the premium content opportunity across games, apps and video content, analysis of emerging VR ecosystems and the market positioning of VR platforms.
This is our most comprehensive review of the VR market, including in-depth quantitative analysis and country level segmentation so clients can make the right decisions about their own VR strategies.
Key questions answered by this report include:
Virtual Reality Headsets and Headset Displays:
- How quickly are VR headsets being adopted?
- What type of headsets are being adopted?
- How much will be spent on VR headsets during the next fives years?
- What are the shipments, sell-through, cumulative sell-through and installed base of VR headsets by country?
- What are the key country-level variations? How are local suppliers impacting the competitive environment?
- How will each major brand of headset sell?
- How will the global shipments of VR headset displays develop during the next five years?
- Who are the major suppliers of displays for VR headsets?
- What is the technological roadmap for VR headset technology?
- Virtual Reality Platforms and Ecosystems:
- Which VR platforms are best positioned to succeed?
- How are smartphone manufacturers positioning and growing their VR ecosystems?
- What are the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of major VR playforms and ecosystems?
- How do the VR strategies of companies such as Google, Samsung, Sony, Microsoft and Facebook differ?
- What does the value chain for consumer VR look like?
- Which companies are controlling the distribution of VR content?
- Virtual Reality Content & Applications:
- How much will be spent on VR games by country and VR headset platform during the next five years?
- How many premium VR video titles will be produced during the next five years?
- How many views/transactions for VR video will take place over the next fives years by country?
- How many premium live streamed VR video events (e.g. sports and concerts) will be hosted in the coming years?
- What other applications and industries are relevant to VR and how are those opportunities developing?
Virtual Reality Market Opportunity Report, 2016
Industry Headlines and Incoming Market Disruptors
Hardware and platforms
The current landscape for VR headsets
Key Players in the Smartphone VR Market
Integrated display headsets
Key players in the integrated display headset market
Facebook and Oculus
Headset technology roadmap and standalone headsets
Other types of company making plays to dominate their respective markets in the context of VR
VR Headset Market Data and Forecasts
The state of positional tracking and input devices in VR
VR Display Analysis and Shipment Expectation
VR Entertainment Content
Apps and Games for Smartphone based VR platforms
VR Games, Apps and ‘Other’ Entertainment Content Spending
Smartphone and Standalone VR
Console and PC-based VR headsets
VR Video - a niche opportunity
VR in China
VR Headsets: Local players fill vacuum
Non-Entertainment VR Applications
VR education and training
VR real estate
VR travel and tourism
Appendix A Territories and Companies covered