The Analgesics Update Part 1: Global Trends global briefing examines the size, growth trends and potential opportunities in the Consumer Health market. The strategic analyses include assessing the impacts of changing regulations, research breakthroughs and public health concerns on both the market and leading companies. Consumer attitudes towards the products and their personal healthcare needs are also explored.
Product coverage: Allergy Care, Herbal/Traditional Products, OTC, Paediatric Consumer Health, Sports Nutrition, Vitamins and Dietary Supplements, Weight Management and Wellbeing.
Data coverage: market sizes (historic and forecasts), company shares, brand shares and distribution data.
Why buy this report?
- Get a detailed picture of the Consumer Health market;
- Pinpoint growth sectors and identify factors driving change;
- Understand the competitive environment, the market’s major players and leading brands;
- Use five-year forecasts to assess how the market is predicted to develop.
- Adult and paediatric systemic analgesics: Retail sales 2016
- Key findings
- Analgesics in the OTC landscape
- Global retail sales of analgesics in 2016
- Asia Pacific to overtake North America in retail sales by 2021
- Analgesics by type
- The rise of topical analgesics
- Herbal/traditional (H/T) analgesics in Asia Pacific
- Performance review of the top brands
- Company shares in global analgesics
- Company snapshot: GlaxoSmithKline
- Company snapshot: Bayer AG
- Company snapshot: Johnson & Johnson
- Companies to watch: Prestige Brands, Procter & Gamble and Perrigo
- High growth across markets in Asia Pacific
- Asia Pacific: The rise of topical analgesics
- Country spotlight: China
- A slowing market in Australasia
- An uncertain market in analgesics
- Country spotlight: New Zealand
- Eastern Europe’s mid-sized markets leading growth
- A balanced portfolio across established and emerging markets
- Country spotlight: Romania
- In Brazil’s shadow, Latin American markets see an uptick in growth
- Combination analgesics driving sales in Latin America
- Country spotlight: Brazil
- Rapid growth in analgesics in the Middle East and Africa (MEA)
- Demand for foreign brands pushes sales in ME A
- Country spotlight: Iran
- Slowing growth in North America and a decline in Canada
- Ibuprofen leads in terms of popularity and sales in North America
- Country spotlight: The US
- Western Europe to see the UK overtake Germany in sales by 2020
- Ketoprofen, OTC triptans and dipyrone spur growth across the region
- Country spotlight: Spain
TRENDS TO WATCH
- Global ageing population a major driver of growth in analgesics
TRENDS TO WATCH
- Regulatory changes hint at stricter times to come
- Distribution channels increasingly regionalised
- Speed of relief leads product innovation: Three new launches
- Forecast compound annual growth rates by region and category
- Largest categories leading forecast growth in analgesics
- Developing nations predicted to extend lead in absolute growth
- Analgesics update part 2: The future of pain management
- Data parameters and report definitions (1)
- Report definitions (2)
- Report definitions (3)
GLOBAL SALES OF ANALGESICS SEE STRENGTH IN EXISTING BRANDS, DRIVEN BY CONSUMER FAMILIARITY
Pfizer’s brand Advil maintained its position as the global leader in analgesics with sales of USD1.1 billion in 2016, followed by Bayer AG’s Bayer Aspirin with USD848 million and GSK’s Voltaren (purchased from Novartis in 2014) with USD798 million. Across global regions, consumers are comfortable with long-standing brands that are familiar, and generally thought of as safe and efficacious.
SAFETY CONCERNS AND THEIR EFFECT ON THE MARKET
Yet despite consumer comfort with long-standing brands, recent scientific studies demonstrated dangerous side-effects such as increased risk of cardiac arrest, hearing loss and kidney damage from prolonged use of popular nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as diclofenac, ibuprofen and naproxen. As consumers become more aware of these risks, it is likely that demand for analgesics will increasingly be influenced by questions of safety.
INCREASING POPULARITY OF TOPICAL ANALGESICS
Topical analgesics is booming in popularity across the globe, growing from total retail sales of USD4.9 billion in 2011 to USD5.8 billion in 2016, and projected to reach USD6.9 billion by 2021. Topical analgesics are particularly popular among the elderly population for joint and muscle pain, as well as among younger consumers who are embracing more physically active lifestyles and shying away from analgesics that require the ingestion of chemicals.
THE WORLD LEADER IN SALES OF ANALGESICS BY 2021
The Asia Pacific region will overtake North America as the largest market for analgesics by 2021, reaching a projected size of USD6.3 billion to North America’s USD6.1 billion. The fastest growing region, however, will be the Middle East and Africa, where sales of analgesics are projected to grow by a CAGR of 5% between 2016 and 2021.