Mann′s Introductory Statistics is written for a one– or two–semester first course in applied statistics. This book is intended for students who do not have a strong background in mathematics. The only prerequisite for this text is knowledge of elementary algebra. The goal of Introductory Statistics has been to make the subject of statistics interesting and accessible to a wide and varied audience. Three major elements of this text support this goal:
- Realistic content of its examples and exercises, drawing from a comprehensive range of applications from all facets of life
- Clarity and brevity of presentation
- Soundness of pedagogical approach
Table of Contents
- Organizing and Graphing Data
- Numerical Descriptive Measures
- Discrete Random Variables and Their Probability Distribution
- Continuous Random Variables and the Normal Distribution
- Sampling Distributions
- Estimation of the Mean and Proportion
- Hypothesis Tests About the Mean and Proportion
- Estimation and Hypothesis Testing: Two Populations
- Chi–Square Tests
- Analysis of Variance
- Simple Linear Regression
- Multiple Regression (online only)
- Nonparametric Methods (online only)
- Appendix A: Explanation of Data Sets
- Appendix B: Statistical Tables
New To This Edition
- WileyPLUS with ORION: WileyPLUS is equipped with an adaptive learning modulecalled ORION. Based on cognitive science, WileyPLUS with ORION provides students with a personal, adaptive learning experience to build their proficiency on topics and use their study time more effectively. It helps students learn by learning about them.
- ORION Refresher Module: An adaptive practice to master algebra skills providesstudents with a personalized study plan to master concepts prior to the course, allowing for instructors to focus class time on Introductory Statistics.
- New Video Program: Videos reviewing key concepts will be available for each text section.
- New Exercises: A large number of the examples and exercises are new or revised,providing contemporary and varied ways for students to practice statistical concepts, including updated Uses and Misuses sections as well as Decide for Yourself sections.
- Case Studies: All case studies are new or revised, drawing on current uses of statistics in areas of student interest.
- Updated Technology Instruction sections: These sections have been updated tosupport the use of the latest versions of TI–94/85+, Minitab, and Excel. The Technology Assignments are all either new or have been updated.
The Wiley Advantage
- WileyPLUS is a research–based online environment for effective teaching andlearning. Interactive study tools and resources including the complete online textbook give students more value for their money.
- Industry–leading support from WileyPLUS with ORION:Resources and personal support are available from the first day of class onward through technical support; WileyPLUS account managers; WileyPLUS with QuickStart; and WileyPLUS Student Partner Program.
- Thorough Examples: A wealth of examples that cover a wide variety of relevanttopics, based on real data taken from government and private data sources and reports, newspapers, magazines, and professional journals.
- Enlightening Pedagogy: Effective markers and aids for students including: marginnotes for examples; diagrams