Proteins in Food Processing, Second Edition, reviews how proteins may be used to enhance the nutritional, textural and other qualities of food products. After two introductory chapters, the book discusses sources of proteins, examining the caseins, whey, muscle and soy proteins, and proteins from oil-producing plants, cereals and seaweed. Part Two illustrates the analysis and modification of proteins, with chapters on testing protein functionality, modeling protein behavior, extracting and purifying proteins and reducing their allergenicity. A final group of chapters delves into the functional value of proteins and how they are used as additives in foods.
- Completely revised and updated with new developments on all food protein analysis and applications, such as alternative proteins sources, proteins as emulsifiers, proteins in nanotechnology and egg proteins
- Reviews the wide range of protein sources available
- Examines ways of modifying protein sources
- Discusses the use of proteins to enhance the nutritional, textural and other qualities of food products
Please Note: This is an On Demand product, delivery may take up to 11 working days after payment has been received.
1. Introduction 2. Properties of proteins in food systems
Part One: Sources of proteins 3. The caseins 4. Whey proteins 5. Muscle proteins 6. Soy as a food ingredient 7. Proteins from oil-producing plants 8. Cereal proteins 9. Seaweed proteins 10. Alternative protein source (e.g. insects) 11. Cultured meat protein
Part Two: Analysing and modifying protein 12. Bioactivity 13. Modelling protein behaviour 14. Factors affecting enzyme activity in foods 15. Detection and methods to reduce food allergens 16. The extraction and purification of proteins: an introduction 17. Modifying seeds to produce proteins
Part Three: Applications 18. Seafood proteins 19. Edible films and coatings from proteins 20. Protein gels 21. Health-related functional value of dairy proteins and peptides 22. The use of immobilized enzymes to improve functionality 23. Impact of proteins on food colour 24. Use of proteins as nano encapsulants