This report provides a compilation of the sales data of originator recombinant therapeutic proteins and antibodies in the calendar year 2016. Sales data were obtained from company publications and refer to branded products originating from companies based in regulated markets. All sales data were converted from their original, reported currency into US$ using official currency exchange rates as of March 16, 2016. Sales figures represent the sum of revenues in all territories where the products are marketed. Growth rates mostly are presented as reported (in some cases on constant exchange rates).
A total of 42 biologic therapeutics reached blockbuster status with 2016 sales exceeding US$ 1 bln: 25 antibodies and 17 proteins. Eight biologics reached global sales in 2016 of more than US$ 5 bln. Four biologics were new in the blockbuster biologics list , among them the immune checkpoint modulator nivolumab which made it among the TOP 10 blockbusters. Six biopharmaceutical companies posted biologics sales of more than US$ 10 bln in the year 2016.
Sales data are presented for each product within the respective class of biologics. The data were analyzed to establish a ranking list of blockbuster biologics with 2016 sales higher than US$ 1 bln. Another ranking list was prepared for TOP 30 companies according to biologics sales in 2016 and the percentage of antibody sales of total biologics sales.
1. 2016 Biologics Sales per Class of Products
2. Blockbuster Biologics in 2016 (by generic name)
3. TOP 30 Company Ranking List for Biologics Sales 2016
4. Currency Exchange Rates
5. Biologic Product Sales 2016:
- Anti-TNF Antibodies
- Cancer Antibodies
- Insulin and Insulin Analogs
- Other Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Autoimmune Antibodies
- Ophthalmic Antibodies
- Recombinant Coagulation Factors
- Interferon beta
- Enzyme Replacement Proteins (ERT)
- Cardiometabolic & Anti-Infective Antibodies
- Human Growth Hormone (hGH)
- Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)
- Other Proteins: Cardiometabolic, Cancer & Others
- Selected Biosimilar Antibodies & Proteins