The IoT market continued to witness more new launches, investments and ecosystem partnership news than announcements related to new customer wins/deployment news in 2016. Almost a third of such news were related to a product or service or solution or organisation launch. The next largest group of news, around 20%, is about investment flows, be they related to funds made available to support research and development efforts or committed finances to acquire companies from chips to application technologies. The third largest group of news, just under 20%, is related to ecosystem news as the IoT community seek partnerships and alliance to address the missing gaps such as portfolio reach and joint business case creation.
In turn, such market development in 2016 also reflected the top 3 most active IoT application areas. Forecasts of global IoT connections in 2016 were dominated by usage in connected car, smart cities and asset management areas.
The commercialisation of a standardised cellular communications technology (NB-IoT) using licensed spectrum is expected to give an extra boost to IoT momentum in 2017. IoT ecosystem participants anticipate wider adoption because NB-IoT offers a standardised low power wide area network that can help to capture previously untapped segments of the market. This is expected to be one of 8 key growth drivers for the IoT sector in 2017; innovation resulting from significant funding in the last 18 months also suggests that the IoT market is poised for another shift in adoption curve.
Looking ahead, if 2016 was a year of healthy market development, 2017 must show revenue successes and clear leadership. IoT applications integrate the consumer into the wider connected system to truly reflect a true intelligent society. Those IoT applications and use cases that touch consumers directly or indirectly have better data and privacy protection. IoT ecosystem stakeholders report profits in their IoT proposition. End-user enterprises deploy IoT technologies as part of their broader digital transformation journeys. Previous R&D innovation efforts succeed in creating new IoT use cases that are also relevant to end-user enterprises.
- 2016 IoT market recap
- New development in IoT application areas
- IoT investment funding areas
- Enterprise attitudes to IoT adoption
- 8 Predictions for IoT in 2017
Key learnings from this outlook report:
- Understand the current landscape of IoT in 2016 in terms of adoption, applications and key market players.
- Understand the IoT market forecast.
- Discover what emerging areas are in development in IoT for 2017 and beyond.
- Learn about current enterprise adoption trends.
- Understand next steps for IoT market development.
- 2016 IoT Market News Announcements
- Key Developments in 2016
- New Product/Service Launches 2016
- IoT Funding & Investments in Europe in 2016
- 8 Predictions for 2017
- Top Trends for 2017
- Research Scope
- IoT Market Segmentation
- IoT Connections Forecast
- Top 3 IoT Application Areas by Value in 2016
- Top IoT Application Growth Areas
- Key 2017 IoT Market Trends
- Trend 1-Commercial Launches of NB-IoT
- Trend 2-Strategic Investments to Enhance IoT Solutions
- Trend 3-Artificial Intelligence at the Centre
- Trend 4-Blockchain IoT
- Trend 5-IoT Applications Widen to New Vertical Uses
- Trend 6-Cybersecurity Risks & IoT rewards
- Trend 7-‘Security-minded’ Companies
- Trend 8-Fog Computing
- IoT Adoption Roadmap
- IoT in Energy-Use Cases & Key 2016 Developments
- IoT in Automotive-Use Cases & Key 2016 Developments
- IoT in Healthcare-Use Cases & Key 2016 Developments
- IoT in Manufacturing-Use Cases & Key 2016 Developments
- IoT in Financial Services-Use Cases & Key 2016 Developments
- IoT in Government-Use Cases & Key 2016 Developments
- IoT in Wholesale, Distribution and Logistics-Use Cases & Key 2016 Developments
- IoT Adoption on an Upward Trajectory
- IoT Remains a ‘Wait and See’ Game for Many European Enterprises
- Security & Privacy Concerns are Top of Mind
- Boosting Customer Experience and Automating Processes is Key
- IoT in Agriculture & Mining-An End-user Perspective, 2016
- IoT in Travel & Transport-An End-user Perspective, 2016
- IoT in Healthcare-An End-user Perspective, 2016
- IoT in Manufacturing-An End-user Perspective, 2016
- IoT in Financial Services-An End-user Perspective, 2016
- IoT in Government-An End-user Perspective, 2016
- IoT in Education-An End-user Perspective, 2016
- IoT in Wholesale, Distribution & Logistics-An End-user Perspective, 2016
- IoT in Retail-An End-user Perspective, 2016
- IoT in IT & Communications-An End-user Perspective, 2016
- IoT in Energy-An End-user Perspective, 2016
- Growth Opportunity 1-Ecosystem Collaboration
- Growth Opportunity 2-IoT as Part of a Digital Transformation Journey
- Growth Opportunity 3-New Business Innovation (Research Labs)
- 2017 Wish List
- Legal Disclaimer