"Cigarettes in South Korea, 2017", is an analytical report that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
South Korea is one of the largest markets for cigarettes in South East Asia, however sales have steadily declined since 2009 as result of weaker economic conditions and ever-tighter smoking restrictions. The market dropped by 22.3% to 69.5 billion pieces in 2015, after a massive hike in prices was imposed by the Korean Government in January 2015. The market began to recover again in 2016, when volume increased by 9.8% to 76.3 billion pieces. The current outlook suggests that cigarette market volume will recover a little in further in 2017 and 2018 but then return to a slow decline. The market volume in 2025 is forecast to still be 2.2% above the depressed level of 2015, at 71 billion pieces.
- Per capita consumption levels rank among the highest in the world despite having been in steady decline.
- The market is dominated by domestic brands which still form over 59% of the market, while international brands held over 40% of volume in 2016.
- The South Korean cigarette market remains dominated by Korean Tobacco & Ginseng Corporation (KT&G) with 59.2% market share in 2016.
- The major rival of KT&G is Philip Morris International (PMI) with 21.0% share in 2016, followed by British America Tobacco (BAT) and Japan tobacco International (JTI) with 14.2% and 5.6% share respectively in 2016.
- The market volume in 2025 is forecast to still be 2.2% above the depressed level of 2015, at 71 billion pieces.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
2. Market Size
3. Market Structure
4. Manufacturers & Brands
5. Taxation & Retail
5.2. Retail Prices
6. The Smoking Population
7. Production & Trade
8. Operating constraints
8.1. Advertising Restrictions
8.2. Health Warnings/Labeling Requirements
8.3. Other Restrictions
9. Company Profiles
10. Prospects & Forecasts
11.1. What is this Report About?
11.2. Time Frame
11.3. Product Category Coverage
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2016
Table 2: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2016
Table 3: Retail Sales Cigarettes, 2004-2008
Table 4: Market Breakdown, Domestic vs. International Brands, 2000-2016, Billion Pieces
Table 5: Market Breakdown, Domestic vs. International Brands, 2000-2016, % Breakdown
Table 6: Market Breakdown by Price Category, 2000-2014, Million Pieces
Table 7: Market Breakdown by Price Category, 2000-2014, % Breakdown
Table 8: Major Brands by Price Category, 2015
Table 9: Market Breakdown by Level of Tar, 2003-2006 & 2008-2010, % of Total Market Volume
Table 10: Slim Cigarette Sales, 1997-2009
Table 11: Manufacturer Sales, 2000-2016, Million Pieces
Table 12: Manufacturer Market Share, 2000-2016, % Volume
Table 13: KT&G: Brand Shares, 2009
Table 14: South Korea: Brand Family Shares, 2000-2013, % Volume
Table 15: PMI: Share of Leading Brands, 2009-2016, %
Table 16: Tax & Price Increases, 1994-2015, Won/Pack
Table 17: Cigarette Tax Increases, 2015, Won/Pack
Table 18: KT&G: Cigarette Prices, Selected Brands, 2009 & 2014, Won/Pack
Table 19: Summary of Price Increases, Selected Brands, 2015. Won/Pack
Table 20: Smoking Population, 1990-2015
Table 21: Smoking Incidence by Age & Gender, 2013 & 2015, % Smoking Cigarettes
Table 22: Cigarette Production, 1990-2015
Table 23: Official Imports of Cigarettes, 1990-2015
Table 24: Imports by Country of Origin, 2000-2015, Million Pieces
Table 25: Imports by Country of Origin, 2000-2015, % Volume
Table 26: Exports of Cigarettes, 1990-2015
Table 27: Exports by Country of Destination, 2000-2015, Million Pieces
Table 28: Exports by Country of Destination, 2000-2015, % Volume
Table 29: KT&G Corporation
Table 30: Philip Morris Korea Inc.
Table 31: British American Tobacco Korea Ltd
Table 32: Consumption Forecasts, 2015-2025
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology