"Cigarettes in Canada, 2017", is an analytical report that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
The Canadian cigarette market, as measured by duty paid volumes, has been largely contracting for the past two decades. However, cigarettes consumption is expected to register a 4.0% increase to 27.06 billion pieces in 2016, which is 58.6% below 1990 levels. This believed to have been driven by purchases ahead of a growing number of Provincial bans on flavored and menthol cigarettes across Canada. Over the long term, cigarettes consumption is expected to decline with volumes forcasted to be down by 14.7% to 23.09 billion pieces in 2026.
- Per capita consumption levels in 2016 are 765 pieces, which is 54.0% of those in 1990.
- The market continues to be led by Imperial Tobacco Canada (ITC), a BAT subsidiary, with reduced 48.0% of legal volumes in 2016.
- Over the longer term it would seem that consumption is declining, as smoking prevalence decreases and smoking bans and other measures act to drive down consumption.
- Volumes are forecast down by 14.7% to 23.09 billion pieces in 2026 with per capita sales down by 20.1% to 611 pieces in 2026.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
2. Market Size
3. Market Structure
4. Manufacturers & Brands
5. Taxation & Retail
5.2. Retail Prices
6. The Smoking Population
7. Production & Trade
8. Operating constraints
8.1. Advertising & Marketing Restrictions
8.2. Health Warnings
8.3. Public Smoking Bans
8.4. Other Restrictions
8.5. Tobacco-Related Litigation
8.6. Health Care Cost Recovery Cases
8.7. Class Action Lawsuits
9. Company Profiles
9.1. Other Companies
10. Prospects & Forecasts
11.1. What is this Report About?
11.2. Time Frame
11.3. Product Category Coverage
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2016
Table 2: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2016
Table 3: Retail Expenditure on Cigarettes, 1990-2016
Table 4: Contraband Share of Sales, 2006-2013
Table 5: Duty Paid v Non-Duty Paid Volumes by Region, 2003-2009, Million Pieces
Table 6: Duty Paid v Non-Duty Paid Volumes by Region, 2003-2009, % Breakdown
Table 7: GFK/CTMC Illegal Tobacco Sale Study: Main Findings, 2006-2008, %
Table 8: RCMP: Cigarette Seizures, 1994-2008
Table 9: Market Breakdown: Domestic v Imported Products, 2000-2014, Billion Pieces
Table 10: Market Breakdown: Domestic v Imported Products, 2000-2014, % Breakdown
Table 11: Market Breakdown: Filter v Plain, 2000-2007, Billion Pieces
Table 12: Market Breakdown: Filter v Plain, 2000-2007, % Breakdown
Table 13: Market Breakdown by Price Sector, 2010 & 2013
Table 14: Market Breakdown by Pack Size, 2000-2008, As % of Market Volume
Table 15: Market Breakdown by Price Category, 2003-2015, % of Shipments
Table 16: Manufacturer Sales, 2000-2016, Million Pieces
Table 17: Manufacturer Market Shares, 2000-2016, %
Table 18: Brand Family Shares, 2003-2016, % Volume
Table 19: Summary of Federal & Provincial Sales Tax Rate by Provinces, 2017
Table 20: Tax Revenues Raised, 2000/01-2012/13, C$ Billion
Table 21: Tobacco Tax Revenue by Province, 2006-2013, C$ Million
Table 22: Average Retail Prices by Province, 2002-2017, C$ per Carton of 200 Pieces
Table 23: Indicative Retail Price Index, 2009, %
Table 24: Smoking Population, 1991-2016
Table 25: The Prevalence of Smoking by Age Group & Gender, 2008-2012, % Current Smoker
Table 26: Current Smokers by Gender, 2015
Table 27: Current Smokers by Age Group, 1999-2012 & 2015, % Current Smokers
Table 28: Adult Smoking Prevalence Trends by Province, 1999, 2003-2012 & 2015, % Current Smokers
Table 29: Production of Cigarettes, 1990-2016
Table 30: Imports of Cigarettes, 1990-2016
Table 31: Imports by Country of Origin, 2000-2016, Million Pieces
Table 32: Imports by Country of Origin, 2000-2016, % Breakdown
Table 33: Exports of Cigarettes, 1990-2016
Table 34: Exports of Cigarettes by Country of Destination, 2000-2016, Million Pieces
Table 35: Exports of Cigarettes by Country of Destination, 2000-2016, % Breakdown
Table 36: Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd
Table 37: Rothmans Inc
Table 38: JTI-Macdonald Corp
Table 39: Other Companies
Table 40: Consumption Forecasts, 2016-2026
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology
- Philip Morris International (PMI)
- British American Tobacco (BAT)
- Imperial Tobacco Canada (ITC)
- Rothmans Benson & Hedges (RBH) JTI Macdonald
- Rothmans Inc.
- Japan Tobacco Inc. (JTI)
- Grand River Enterprises (GRE)
- Tabac ADL Tobacco
- First Nations People
- Bastos du Canada Ltd.
- Dynasty Tobacco
- Tabacs Tabec