- digital storytelling,
- filmmaking, and
This is the 154th volume of the Jossey Bass series
New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education. Noted for its depth of coverage, it explores issues of common interest to instructors, administrators, counselors, and policymakers in a broad range of education settings, such as colleges and universities, extension programs, businesses, libraries, and museums.
EDITORS’ NOTES 5
Kyung–Hwa Yang, Randee Lipson Lawrence
1. Situating Participatory Visual Methods in Adult Education 9
This chapter brings the discourses on participatory visual methods and adult education together. A framework to connect them and contributions that the methods can make to adult education are discussed.
2. Moments for Movement: Photostories from the 1980s Resonate Today 17
Deborah Barndt, Kris Erickson
Drawing on the photostories created with marginalized groups of people in Canada, the implication of photostories for adult learning in contemporary society is discussed.
3. Digital Storytelling in Adult Basic Education and Literacy Programming 29
This chapter offers an overview of digital storytelling as a useful participatory visual method, especially in the context of adult basic and literacy education. A number of examples and practical insights into the use of digital storytelling are provided.
4. Crossin’ the Bridge: A Participatory Approach to Filmmaking 39
Based on a filmmaking project on mental illness conducted with a group of men in rural Ireland, this chapter introduces a conceptual framework of participatory filmmaking and discusses its implications for adult education.
5. Moving from Pictures to Social Action: An Introduction to Photovoice as a Participatory Action Tool 49
Susan Mayfield–Johnson, James Butler, III
This chapter offers step–by–step practical insights into the ways in which photovoice as a participatory visual method can be used in working with adult learners and discusses the theoretical intersections of the method with adult education.
6. Merging Art and Educative Practice: Using Paintings as an Approach to Developing Antiracist Pedagogy 61
Auburn E. Ellis
Drawing on an educational research project conducted with a group of school and museum teachers, this chapter explores painting as a participatory visual method to promote antiracist pedagogy.
7. The Contributions of Political Fashion Shows and Fabric to Visual Arts–Based Practice 71
Situated in feminist approaches to popular education, this chapter incorporates fashion shows and fabric into a repertoire of participatory visual methods and offers insights into ways in which they can contribute to bringing out marginalized voices and embodied knowledge to the forefront.
8. Exhibitions of Power: Participatory Visual Practices in Contemporary Museums 83
Darlene E. Clover
Participatory visual approaches to adult education are explored at museums, which are ordinarily considered authoritative public institutions. Ways to engage adult learners in participatory processes are discussed.
9. Participatory Visual Methods: Revisioning the Future of Adult Education 93
Randee Lipson Lawrence
This chapter reflects on the previous chapters and integrates each theme into the theoretical threads in which this book is situated.