"Autonomous vehicles could transform society when (and if) they become available, but their impact on the telecoms industry is likely to be much more modest."
All of the major car companies and many technology firms are developing autonomous vehicles. These vehicles will require some degree of connectivity for autonomous driving, but consumers' activities in the time freed up from driving could represent larger opportunities for telecoms operators.
This report provides:
- a description of how autonomous vehicles work and the degree to which they will use wide-area networks
- a view of the timeframes for availability and widespread penetration of autonomous vehicles
- a discussion of the barriers that autonomous vehicles must overcome
- a comparison of competing vehicle communication (V2X) standards (DSRC and LTE-based solutions)
- a discussion of the likely impact of autonomous vehicles on telecoms networks.