'Success Case Study: Walkers Tear 'n' Share' is part of the Successes and Failures research. It explains and analyzes the successful launch of Walkers' new sharing bag product, Tear 'n' Share, in the UK potato chip market. It delivers the critical 'what?', 'why?', and 'so what?' analysis to teach you crucial lessons that increase your chances of launching successful products.
In a market that has been moving towards premium, sharing brands for years, mainstream market leader Walkers has faced increased competition. By launching a sharing product that features functional and innovative packaging but is still recognizably linked to its core range, Walkers is looking to drag its brand into the profitable sharing end of the market.
- Walkers Tear 'n' Share features heat-sealed packaging sides that allow the pack to stay open in a bowl shape, making sharing easier.
- The crisp itself is thickened for ease of dipping, but flavors remain linked to the Walkers core range in order to bring traditionalists to the sharing bag market.
- UK consumers are becoming increasingly occasion-oriented in their consumption of healthy snacks.
- The launch of this product is a reminder that unusual packaging can be used to add functionality as well as novelty.
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.