Comfort & Uncertainty has strong influence over household cleaning and laundry purchases, with consumers seeking the familiar brands they trust. In addition to familiarity, consumers seek affordable products. Brands that can offer added value or differentiation at a lower price point will therefore prevail.
While the influence of health is very important in household cleaning and laundry products, consumers will continue to seek familiar brands at an affordable price before those that align with their health. The challenge for brands is to align with health needs whilst maintaining consumer trust and affordable price points.
Four key trends impacting innovation in household cleaning and laundry care are - Scent-Sory Appeal: Scent is increasingly becoming a point of differentiation in this industry, with fragranced product variants being used to convey cleanliness and luxury.
- Convenient Cleaning: Products that require minimal time and labor commitments and that deliver maximum efficacy appeal to time-scarce consumers.
- Green Cleaning: Products that preserve and protect both environmental and human health are in high demand, highlighting the consumer preference for more holistic, natural cleaning products.
- Targeting Male Consumers: Brands are moving away from a 'one-size-fits-all' approach, recognizing the influence that social change is having on male participation in household chores.
Advances in technology are making the concept of an internet connected home increasingly realistic. Products that operate via the touch of a button on your smartphone or even via voice command will grow in popularity. Developments in cloud computing and artificial intelligence will allow consumers increased control over the management of their household devices, i.e. turning off devices when not at home, or commanding a task to be completed.
The report 'Top Trends in Household Cleaning and Laundry 2017' focuses on outlining the key consumer and innovation trends currently impacting the core categories in household cleaning and laundry care. These include NPD that aligns with gender-specific concerns, an interest in product effects on the environment and health, more complex scent offerings, and convenience.
Companies mentioned in this report: Fafa Tipe, Febreze, Mrs Lloyd, Downy Unstopables, Moodo, Champion Infinity, Laundrapp, Clorox, Amazon Dash, Walmart, Frosch, Marcel, Earth's Choice, Force of Nature, Febreze Men, Real Laundry, Frey, LG.
- Over a third of consumers globally give high or very high attention to the ingredients used in the househod care and laundry products they buy.
- Over a third of consumers globally find the time-saving/convenience of using a single product the most appealing benefit of multifunctional household care products.
- Over two thirds of males globally believe that men have an equal responsibility to women when it comes to shopping/cooking/cleaning.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.
Innovation Trends in Household Cleaning and Laundry Care
Targeting Male Consumers