North American viscosupplementation market was estimated at $889.4M in 2016 across the three markets (Canada, Mexico, and US). By the end of the forecast period in 2023, it is estimated that the market will grow to approximately $1.4B at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 6.4%.
Osteoarthritis (OA) constitutes a growing public health burden, and is the most common cause of musculoskeletal disability around the world. Resulting from a complex interaction of biomechanical, biochemical, and genetic factors, OA develops slowly and is characterized by the degradation of the affected joint’s cartilage and bone hypertrophy. The disability is accompanied by joint pain, stiffness, and loss of range of motion. Initially treated with various therapies including physical therapy and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), advanced cases of OA have traditionally been treated surgically.
However, intra-articular viscosupplementation with hyaluronic acid (HA), a high-molecular-weight glycosaminoglycan, has become an increasingly accepted therapeutic alternative to knee replacement surgery in the symptomatic management of OA over the past decade.
Key drivers of the viscosupplementation market in the forecast period are:
- The rising prevalence of osteoarthritis (OA) due to increasing aging and obese populations.
- The evolving multimodal treatment paradigm for OA.
- Patients seeking to delay knee replacement surgery in an effort to maintain an active lifestyle.
Market for viscosupplementation is highly fragmented, with key players varying by region and country. Unlike most orthopedic device markets, the market for viscosupplementation is largely populated by pharmaceutical companies. Although many companies maintain a direct presence in the markets they sell to, some have coordinated marketing and distribution partnerships with major orthopedic players in an effort to leverage geographical experience and existing relationships with orthopedic surgeons.
The report "MediPoint: Viscosupplementation - North America Analysis and Market Forecasts" focuses on the market outlook for viscosupplementation in North America (Canada, Mexico, and US). This report analyzes and discusses the major drivers and barriers of viscosupplementation adoption, and provides an in-depth understanding of the future outlook for this market by geography, with an overall emphasis on the current and future trends in the three countries.
Companies mentioned in this report: Anika Therapeutics, Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Fidia Farmaceutici, Sanofi, Seikagaku Corporation
- Overview of recent key industry events and analysis of their market impact.
- Annualized total market revenue by type of device, procedure trends, and market outlooks by segment and by country through 2023.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, and implications of the emerging technologies in the market.
- Pipeline analysis: Comprehensive data split across different stages of development, including a discussion of emerging trends and devices in development.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the North American viscosupplementation market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, barriers, and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
The report will enable you to:
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of marketed products and technologies.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the viscosupplementation market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the viscosupplementation market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track device sales in country-specific viscosupplementation markets from 2014-2023.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
1.1.1 Jennifer Ryan, Orthopedic Analyst, Medical Devices
1.1.2 Linda Tian, Managing Analyst, Medical Devices
1.1.3 Global Head of Medical Devices
2 Table of Contents
3 Executive Summary
3.2 Market Dynamics
3.3 Key Players in the Viscosupplementation Market
3.4 Viscosupplementation Market Future Outlook
4.2 Related Reports
4.3 Upcoming Related Reports
5 Market Outlook
5.1 Procedure Trends
5.2 Pricing Trends
5.3 Revenue Trends
5.4 Company Share Analysis
6 Market Insights
6.1 North America
7 Competitive Assessment
7.2 Anika Therapeutics
7.2.2 Portfolio Assessment
7.2.3 Competitive Positioning
7.3 Ferring Pharmaceuticals
7.3.2 Portfolio Assessment
7.3.3 Competitive Positioning
7.4 Fidia Farmaceutici
7.4.2 Portfolio Assessment
7.4.3 Competitive Positioning
7.5.2 Portfolio Assessment
7.5.3 Competitive Positioning
7.6 Seikagaku Corporation
7.6.2 Portfolio Assessment
7.6.3 Competitive Positioning
7.7 Other Players
8.3.3 Secondary Research
8.3.4 Forecasting Methodology
8.3.5 Primary Research Summary
8.4 About MediPoint
List of Tables
Table 1: Key Metrics in the North America Viscosupplementation Market
Table 2: North America Viscosupplementation Volume Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 3: North America Viscosupplementation Average Selling Price Forecast ($), 2014-2023
Table 4: North America Viscosupplementation Market Revenue Forecast ($M), 2014-2023
Table 5: North America Viscosupplementation Company Share Analysis, 2016
Table 6: Anika Therapeutics - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 7: Ferring Pharmaceuticals - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 8: Fidia Farmaceutici - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 9: Fidia Farmaceutici - Key Clinical Trials
Table 10: Sanofi - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 11: Seikagaku Corporation - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 12: Seikagaku Corporation - Key Pipeline Products Assessment
Table 13: Summary of Other Players in the Viscosupplementation Market, 2017
List of Figures
Figure 1: Viscosupplementation Sales for North America, by Country, 2016 and 2023