In 2015, world passenger traffic, measured by international revenue passenger kilometres, grew by approximately 7.4% and while capacity grew by 6.7%. The growth was driven by airlines in the emerging markets particularly Middle East and Latin America. Though Europe is still experiencing economic weakness, RPK grew by 5% driven by strong demand in Turkey.
It has been forecasted that over the next two decades, more than 39,600 planes will be needed globally. While close to 40% of this demand will come from North America and Europe, 38% will come from the Asia region. The remaining demand is expected to come from the Middle East, Latin America, the CIS, and Africa. Single-aisle planes will form a chunk of this demand followed by widebody airplane. It has also been predicted that China will need 6810 new aircraft and about 248,000 new pilots over the next two decades. In 2016, a global initiative has been set into motion to cap carbon emissions from international aviation. A global agreement was put into place at Montreal to limit the effect of commercial flights on the climate.
The aviation sector which accounts for 6% of Singapore’s GDP and employs close to 55,000 people, is a key sector contributing to the growth of the country’s economy. There are various factors responsible for this, including the high efficiency and world class facilities at the Changi Airport and a commendable air safety record.
Changi Airport is one of the best airports globally and has won more than 490 awards. In 2015, it was the sixth busiest airport globally. Currently. the airport caters to over 100 airlines and is expected to double its capacity by 2020 to serve 135 million passengers per annum. In 2015, passenger movement at the Changi Airport grew by 2.5% year-on-year boosted by increasing air travel demand to North East Asia and South East Asia. These areas account for close to 66% of the air traffic on Changi Airport. In 2016, the Changi Airport handled a record high of 58.7 million passenger movements.
Why should the report be purchased?
The report "Assessment of Singapore's Aviation Industry 2017" highlights key dynamics of Singapore’s aviation market. The growing opportunity in the sector has been studied. The Initiatives and performance of key global playersincluding Singapore Airlines, Emirates, Qantas Airways Limited, Jetstar Airways Pty Ltd, Tiger Airways Singapore Pte Ltd, Air Asia Berhad along with current market scenario has also been studied. The report contains latest industry leaders verbatim.
Research methodology and delivery time
The author has conducted in depth secondary research to arrive at key insights. Data collected from key public industry sources and publications has been scanned and analyzed impartially to present a clear picture of the industry. All recent developments which impact the sector dynamics have been captured and used to support the research hypothesis.
The report is available as single-site single-user license. The delivery time for the electronic version of the report is 3 business days as each copy undergoes thorough quality check and is updated with the most recent information available. The dispatch time for hard copies 4business days, as each hard copy is custom printed for the client.
1. Analyst Opinion
2. Global Aviation Market
2.2 Market Statistics & Performance
2.3 Market Drivers
2.6 Industry Speak
3. Singapore Aviation Market
3.2 Market Statistics & Performance
3.3 Market Drivers
3.4 Government Initiatives
3.7 Industry Speak
4. Key Player Profiles
4.1 Singapore Airlines
4.3 Qantas Airways Limited
4.4 Jetstar Airways Pty Ltd
4.5 Tiger Airways Singapore Pte Ltd
4.6 AirAsia Berhad
5. List of Charts and Graphs
6. Research Methodology
List of Charts and Graphs
1. Annual Growth in Global Air Traffic Passenger Demand (2005-2017 E, %)
2. Region Wise International Revenue Passenger Kilometers Growth (y-o-y January 2015, %)
3. Global Revenue of Commercial Airlines (2004-2015, billion USD)
4. Global New Airplane Deliveries Worldwide by Region (2015, in units)
5. Global New Airplane Deliveries Worldwide by Region (2014, in units)
6. Global Airplanes Demand by Region (2016-2035, billion USD)
7. Global Revenue with Passengers in Air Traffic (2004-2015, billion USD)
8. Singapore Changi Airport Passenger Traffic y-o-y Growth Rate (2010-2014, %)
9. Singapore Changi Annual Passenger Traffic (2010-April 2017, million)
10. Singapore Changi Airport Passenger Traffic by Region (2013 & 2014)
11. Singapore Changi Airport Freight Movements (2011-2015, million tonnes)
12. Singapore Changi Airport Commercial Aircraft Movements (2011-2015, no of aircrafts, ‘000)