Waymo, the autonomous technology company under the Alphabet conglomerate, is at the forefront of developing autonomous driving software for cars. Vehicles powered by Waymo's software help Alphabet complete its ecosystem of connected devices by serving as a data collection node when users are on the move. In a steadfast effort to enter the automotive industry, Alphabet Inc. has laid out a clear strategy targeting the connected and autonomous car spaces via Android OS for cars and Waymo, respectively. With Waymo completing more than 3 million miles of on-road driving and the introduction of the industry-first car without a steering wheel and pedals, it is expected to commercialize its technology ahead of competition.
Innovation in the fields of autonomous technology and artificial intelligence is bound to transform the automotive ecosystem; Waymo’s autonomous hardware and software are expected to catalyze this transformation, with cross-industry applications from shared mobility to logistics.
The aim of this study is to understand the various application areas of Waymo’s autonomous software, including shared mobility and logistics, and highlight the impact of Waymo's innovations on global automotive ecosystem.
Key Questions this Study will Answer:
- What is the endgame of Alphabet Inc., and how does strengthening its portfolio of automotive products and services help achieve its goal?
- How important is Waymo's autonomous technology in strengthening Alphabet’s automotive product portfolio, and what roles will companies in the Alphabet conglomerate play in supporting the development of Waymo?
- Why is on-road testing of autonomous cars important for Waymo, and how is it planning on increasing its test fleet?
- What parts of the automotive and transportation industries are Waymo expected to influence?
- What are various growth opportunities and strategic imperatives that Frost & Sullivan identifies for Waymo?
Applications areas covered:
- Autonomous software licensing
- Autonomous hardware licensing
- Impact of Waymo on automotive retail
- Evolution of the global automotive ecosystem with and without Waymo
- Shared mobility
- Data as a service
- Logistics and last-mile delivery
- Public transportation
Analysis covered in this study:
- Competitive landscape: autonomous technology testing/development
- Growth opportunities and strategic imperatives for success
- Waymo’s milestones: who should take note and why?
Benefit to the Client
The study offers a complete Look into Waymo’s recent activities and the most probable steps Waymo will consider for partnership, fleet, testing and application area expansion. It covers Waymo’s ACES (Autonomous, Connected, Electric and Shared Mobility) vision and the impact of Waymo’s autonomous technology across various spaces in the automotive value chain and across industries.
Top companies that are working towards autonomous technology are highlighted, along with their partnership/acquisition efforts. Thus, this study would be of interest to various organizations ranging from automotive OEMs, suppliers, city municipalities, tech companies, dealerships, logistics companies, shared mobility firms, application developers, and public transportation providers.
Countries/regions that would find this study useful:
- United States
- Europe: Netherlands, Scandinavian countries, Germany, France, United Kingdom
1. Executive Summary
- Executive Summary - Key Findings
- Executive Summary - Alphabet’s Products as Data Collection Nodes
- Executive Summary - Competitors’ Efforts in Creating an Ecosystem
- Executive Summary - Alphabet’s Progress into the Auto Industry
- Executive Summary - Waymo’s ACES Vision
- Executive Summary - Impact on Business and Application Areas
2. Research Scope and Methodology
- Research Scope
- Research Aims and Objectives
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
- Research Background
- Research Methodology
3. Alphabet’s Targeted Endgame and Automotive Vision
- Targeted Endgame - The Alphabet Ecosystem
- Alphabet’s Efforts in Strengthening its Automotive Portfolio
- Autonomous Cars - Alphabet’s Automotive Goal
4. A Look into Waymo’s Growth Strategies
- Alphabet’s Product and Service Offerings’ Role in Waymo
- Timeline of Recent Activities
- Autonomous Vehicle Testing - Fleet Expansion
- Autonomous Vehicle Testing - Location Expansion
- Competitive Landscape
5. Impact of Waymo’s Innovations on the Global Automotive Ecosystem
- Evolving Automotive Ecosystem
- Waymo’s Autonomous Software Licensing
- Waymo’s Autonomous Sensor Suite Manufacturing
- Waymo-Powered Vehicle for Independent Ownership
- Global Automotive Ecosystem With and Without Waymo
6. Application Areas of Waymo’s Autonomous Technology
- Waymo’s Business Opportunity
- Business Case 1 - Waymo Partnering with Shared Mobility Companies
- Business Case 2 - Waymo Enabling Data as a Service
- Business Case 3 - Last-Mile Delivery and Logistics
- Business Case 4 - Waymo’s Impact on Public Transportation
- Summary of Various Business Cases
7. Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
- Growth Opportunity for Waymo
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
8. Research Takeaways
- Milestones and Significance - So What?
- Key Highlights and Future Outlook
- The Last Word - 3 Big Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer
- Market Engineering Methodology