This report provides a global overview of the market for superalloys, with breakdowns by region and by major technology. The goal in conducting this study was to assess and describe the current status and potential growth of the worldwide use of superalloys, and associated markets.
More specifically, the study includes the following objectives:
- Summarize the current boiler markets and emerging trends that weigh on market valuations and futures.
- Evaluate the existing boiler industry, focusing on boiler manufacturers within primary categories of industrial boilers.
- Assess market potential for enhanced oil production (EOR) technologies over a five-year period from 2016 through 2021.
Reasons for Doing This Study:
Several key factors are currently influencing superalloy production and associated markets, across a variety of applications. Continued advancement of the global air travel industry, both for cargo and personal transit, is enabling major airlines to upgrade their fleets to newer, more energy efficient planes sporting modernized, superalloy containing engines. In the power generation industry, new deployments of gas turbines and repowering of older technologies such as coal with natural gas supports advancement in these markets, both for gas and steam turbines. Global advances in industrial production are also driving the increased use of superalloys in that category, while volatility in the oil and gas industry may be calming down with oil prices that are approaching increased stability. Finally, automotive technologies are continuing to advance, especially surrounding increased fuel efficiency, which is driving the use of superalloys in that category.
The last several years have marked an auspicious time for expansion within global and regional markets for superalloys. However, is the time still opportune into the near- to mid-term (through 2021)?
Moreover, if so, which regional and national markets, and which superalloy categories or applications will show the strongest growth? Further, what strategies should superalloy market participants pursue to take advantage of potential upcoming market advances? This report intends to assist industry executives, sales managers, and strategists to better plan their approach to growth within today’s diverse industrial boiler markets.
This report provides and an in-depth analysis of superalloys and their key applications, relevant markets and production information, technological descriptions and issues, applications and market factors, and market potential. It gives an overview of applicable regulations and standards that bear on leading worldwide markets. This study will be of interest to current and prospective suppliers of superalloys, those involved in the superalloy supply chain, and manufacturers who rely on superalloys as a critical component of their key products. Other parties for which this report will be beneficial include entrepreneurs and entrepreneurial companies interested in entering or expanding into the superalloy technology sector, materials developers looking to develop new materials, or those who seek to bring emerging materials to the market. This review will also be of interest to corporate planners and strategists, materials research and development strategists, engineering, alloy materials industrygroups, and other public- and private-sector interest groups and market analysts.
Scope of Report:
The scope of this investigation includes the major superalloy categories that are relevant to an array of mechanical products and equipment. Superalloys provide enhanced durability, excellent thermal management and associated properties, and other key benefits that are critical to the operation of many high-tech mechanical and industrial equipment and facilities. The specific technology categories considered in this report are shown below, which include all major sectors bearing moderate to large markets for superalloy materials on a global basis. This report focuses explicitly on superalloys and does not consider other alloys such as advanced titanium or steel alloys.
Superalloy categories considered in this report:
- Airplane jet engines: jet engines for commercial cargo and passenger airlines; jet engines for private business airlines; jet engines for military applications; jet engines for rotary (helicopter) applications.
- Power generation: utility gas turbines; industrial gas turbines for power generation; steam turbines; nuclear reactors.
- Industrial applications: gas compressors; chemical processing equipment; waste processing equipment; thermal processing equipment.
- Oil and gas extraction: subsea topsides; drilling and completion; compressor systems.
- Automotive: turbochargers; other engine components.
Biomedical applications are also covered in this report. However, they carry a small market size and therefore market data, with breakdowns by material and region but not by their application within the biomedical category, and are provided in an appendix.
The data, market information, and industry insights presented are intended to provide a holistic overview of all the major markets for superalloys. The market analysis submitted in this report is based on a variety of data sources. These include the most recent corporate, industrial, and government data on superalloy production, sales, imports and exports. The manufacturing and industrial productivity data is intended to help gauge anticipated future market growth. The results from the data generated by recent and ongoing research and development efforts are aimed at identifying new and developing niches for certain classes of superalloys and their potential for associated growth.
Research and development of new superalloys and associated materials are key drivers of future market growth within the industry. Emerging superalloys that may become commercially viable within the next five years are summarized but are not included in the market assessment of this report. The research analyzes each major viable superalloy, as shown above, determines its current market status, examines its impact on future markets, and presents forecasts of growth over the next five years. Technological issues, including the latest trends, are assessed and discussed, as are the current and likely regulatory environments in support of this industry. Sales of superalloys into various industrial and manufacturing categories and end uses are considered.
The research analyzes the superalloys industry on a worldwide basis regarding the production and sale of superalloys, as these are incorporated into a variety of products. It also examines institutional and government support, including research and development (R&D), which ultimately provides support to long-term growth in superalloys markets, as relevant through 2021. The report also discusses recent trends and projections in terms of unit sales, as well as market sales values.
Chapter 1: Introduction
- Study Goals and Objectives
- Reasons for Doing This Study
- Intended Audience
- Scope of Report
- Information Sources
- Geographic Breakdown
- Analyst's Credentials
- Related Research Reports
Chapter 2: Summary and Highlights
Chapter 3: Overview
- Introduction to Superalloys
- Definition of Terms
- Brief History of Superalloys
- Overview of Superalloys
- Types of Superalloys
- Manufacture of Superalloys
- Initial Alloying through Vacuum Induction Melting
- Secondary Melting
- Investment Casting
- Powder Metallurgy
- Spray Forming and Casting
- Deformation Processing
- Directional Solidification
- Single Crystal Generation
- Heat Treatment
- Hot and Cold Working
- Coatings for Various Purposes
- Superalloy Manufacturing Process Control Systems
- Superalloy Properties and Tailoring
- Superalloy Applications
- Anticipated and Potential Superalloy Developments
- Superalloy Research and Development
- Phase Transformation Strengthening
- Direct Laser Deposition
- Summary of Superalloy Market Categories
- Technologies Not Considered
Chapter 4: Aircraft Jet Engines
- Global Airplane Industry Trends
- Efficiency and Fuel Cost
- Rotary / Helicopter Markets
- Military Markets
- Jet Engine Manufacturers
- Superalloy Market: Aircraft Jet Engines
Chapter 5: Power Generation
- Global Power Generation Industry Trends
- Retrofit and Repowering Markets
- Global Power Generation Capacity Expansion
- Energy Efficiency
- U.S. Shale Gas Boom Drives Natural Gas Power Production
- Nuclear Power Markets
- Power Generation Turbomachinery Equipment Manufacturers
- Superalloy Market: Power Generation
Chapter 6: Industrial Processes
- Global Industrial Process Trends
- Industrial Compressors
- Chemical Processing
- Waste Processing
- Thermal Processing
- Superalloy Market: Industrial Processes
Chapter 7: Oil and Gas Extraction Applications
- Global Trends for Superalloys in the Oil and Gas Sector
- Oil Prices and Associated Trends
- Natural Gas Prices and Associated Trends
- Subsea Topsides
- Drilling and Completion Systems
- Oil and Gas Landside Compressor Systems
- Superalloy Market: Oil and Gas
Chapter 8: Automotive Applications
- Superalloy Automotive Applications
- Other Engine Components
- Fuel Efficiency
- Superalloy Market: Automotive Applications
Chapter 9: Global Superalloy Market Summary
Chapter 10: Industry and Trends
- Superalloy Supply Chains
- Mineral Mining
- Ore Concentration and Metal Extraction
- Intermediate Materials Producers
- Material Recyclers
- Metal Refineries
- Chemical Refineries
- Intermediary Metallurgists / Forgers
- Parts Manufacturers
- Original Equipment Manufacturers
- Specialty Equipment Manufacturers
- End Users
- Industry Organizations
- The Aluminum Association
- American Foundry Society and the Institute
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- ASM International
- Canadian Center of Science and Education
- Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy, and Petroleum
- Cast Metals Federation
- Cobalt Development Institute
- European Foundry Association
- European Foundry Equipment Suppliers Association
- European Investment Casters’ Foundation
- Forging Industry Association (FIA)
- Foundry Equipment and Supplies Association
- Institute of Materials, Minerals, and Mining
- International Chromium Development Association
- International Nickel Study Group
- Investment Casting Institute
- Metal Powder Industries Federation
- The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society (TMS)
- National Metallurgical Laboratory
- Nickel Institute
- North American Die Casting Association
- Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration
- Key Macro Trends Influencing Markets
- Retrofit Financing for Large Industrial Equipment
- Quest for Energy Efficiency
- Environmental and Permitting Requirements and Trends
- Possibility That Manufacturing Growth Might Drive Markets in the United States
Chapter 11: Company Profiles
- Superalloys Manufacturers
- Superalloys End Users
Appendix 1: Biomedical Applications for Superalloys
Superalloy Market Brief: Biomedical Applications
Appendix 2: References and Acronyms
The global superalloy market reached $5.2 billion in 2015. This market is expected to increase from nearly $5.6 billion in 2016 to $7.7 billion in 2021 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.6% for 2016-2021.
Transportation applications market is expected to grow from $3.2 billion in 2016 to nearly $4.3 billion in 2021 at a CAGR of 5.7% from 2016 through 2021.
Industrial and power generation applications market is expected to grow from $2.3 billion in 2016 to nearly $3.4 billion in 2021 at a CAGR of 7.7% from 2016 through 2021.