Praise for Enhancing Adult Motivation to Learn
THE REVIEW OF HIGHER EDUCATION
"I particularly value this book for its orientation to the instructor′s world. It eloquently provides insights into learning designs that build on learner motivation and culturally responsive learning; its text features accessible language and understandings of ideas and actions, as well as practitioner–oriented approaches that are very practical in their application."
ADULT EDUCATION QUARTERLY
"Enhancing Adult Motivation to Learn is an excellent resource that can be used by all adult educators and trainers. Administrators in higher education may also find this book useful as they work with increasing motivation in adult staff. . . with accessible charts, checklists, and tables this book is a true instructional tool. I highly recommend this guide to any adult educator who is interested in improving adult motivation for learning."
JOURNAL OF ADULT EDUCATION
"Enhancing Adult Motivation to Learn is a must read for practitioners of adult education who wish to deepen their understanding of the characteristics of a motivating instructor and the conditions that motivate adult learning. The book is steeped in research, yet filled with practical examples. . . that have direct implications for designing instruction."
MALCOLM S. KNOWLES
"This is the first book in our field that addresses specifically the topic of adult motivation for learning . . . . so clearly written, so comprehensive, and so thoroughly based on scholarship that it will become a classic in the literature of our field."
About the Author
1. Understanding Motivation for Adult Learners
2. Understanding How Aging and Culture Affect Motivation to Learn
3. Characteristics and Skills of a Motivating Instructor: The Five Pillars
4. What Motivates Adults to Learn
5. Encouraging Motivation in Online Formats
6. Establishing Inclusion among Adult Learners
7. Helping Adults Develop Positive Attitudes toward Learning
8. Enhancing Meaning in Learning Activities
9. Engendering Competence among Adult Learners
10. Building Motivational Strategies into Instructional Designs
Epilogue: Ethical Considerations for an Instructor of Adults
About the Author