This study aims to research and analyse the new era of digital transformation in the farming industry and to assess the value proposition of these new technologies that address the expectations of farmers in transforming their business practices. Adoption of agricultural technology has become imperative for farmers, as they are facing tighter farm margins and declining commodity prices. The insights generated from the usage of technology in farming operations assist farmers in mitigating cost challenges and effectively improve production per acre. The inclusion of precision farming by adopting technologies such as Sensors, Drone Imagery, and Big Data analytics will have a positive impact on farming operations. Precision agriculture is slowly and steadily making inroads into developed countries, but is yet to make a mark in emerging economies. Variable rate technologies are one of the more commonly available technologies enabling better input optimisation. Frost & Sullivan’s research shows that 85–90% of the new farm equipment sold in 2025 will have a precision agriculture component.
The market trends are analysed for a study period of 2016 to 2025, with the base year being 2016.Technologies covered in the study are Precision Agriculture, Big Data, IoT, and autonomous systems. Farm equipment including tractors, harvesters, and sprayers are covered under the product scope of the study. The growing trend of digitalization in farming and precision agriculture is the key focus area in this study. The precision agriculture ecosystem consists of tractor OEMs, seeds and fertilizer manufacturers, technology companies, and hardware and software companies.
Companies mentioned in the competitive landscape of this study include John Deere, KUBOTA, Accenture, IBM, Intel, Videophone, Tech Mahindra, Mahindra & Mahindra, Trimble, Cisco, AT&T, CNH Industrial, and others.
The geographic scope of the study is global, which includes: Europe (All 28 European countries), Russia, United States, Brazil, Mexico, Africa (Kenya, Nigeria, Algeria, South Africa, Tanzania, and Uganda), Asia-Pacific (India, China, Japan, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Australia).
Key Questions This Study Will Answer
- What are the major trends in the adoption of digital transformation solutions and services in the farming sector?
- What are the upcoming technologies involved in the agriculture industries?
- What are the emerging business opportunities in the precision agriculture market?
- What are the major digital initiatives taken up by OEMs in the technology front?
- What are the drivers and restraints for digital technology adoption in the farming sector?
- What lies ahead for farm equipment manufacturers, Tier 1 suppliers, and IoT service providers in the digital farming landscape?
1. Executive Summary
- Executive Summary-Key Findings
- Executive Summary-Market Outlook
- Executive Summary-Global Scenario
- Key Areas Impacted by Digital Transformation
- Recommendations for OEMs
- Digitization of Farm Management Supply Chains
- Digital Technology Drivers
2. Research Objectives, Background, and Methodology
- Research Scope
- Research Aim and Objectives
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
- Research Methodology
3. Key Technologies Impacting Farm Management
- Key Technologies Impacting Farm Management
- Drone Application for Farm Management
- Drone Technology-Global Adoption Footprint
- Drones-Innovators’ Profile
- Farm Management Software-Overview
- Farm Management Software-Global Adoption Footprint
- Farm Management Software-Innovators’ Profile
- Precision Agriculture-Overview
- Need For Precision Agriculture
- Precision Farming-Key Technologies and Concepts
- Precision Farming-Key Technologies Explained
- Important Segments of Precision Agriculture
- Application Trends-Precision Agriculture
- Business Opportunities-Precision Agriculture
- Need of IoT in Farm Equipment
- Connected Tractors Pave the Way for Autonomous Systems
- Connected Tractors-Application Segment
- Connected Tractors-Application Segment Growth Analysis
- Future Trend-Digitalization in Agriculture Retail Market
- Autonomous Systems-Agriculture
- Autonomous Tractors
- Precision Agriculture to Big Data
- Big Data Analytics
- Technology Roadmap
- Future Trend-Smart Farming
- Smart Farming-Overview
- Business Opportunities-Digitization in Agriculture
4. Digital Innovation in Agriculture-Best Practices
- Farmers Business Network (FBN)-Software and Analytics
- Planet-Satellite Imagery
- FarmLogs-Farm Management Software
- Orbital Insight-Geospatial Big Data Analytics
- Companies to Watch
5. Digital Initiatives by OEMs
- Telematics-John Deere
- Precision Farming-John Deere
- Telematics-New Holland
- Precision Farming-AGCO
- IoT Service Providers in the Farm Management Segment
6. IoT Service Providers in the Digital Farm Management Landscape
- Accenture-Digital Services
- Tech Mahindra
- Competitive Landscape-Precision Agriculture
7. Growth Opportunities
- New Revenue Pocket- Customer Digital Experience Growth Opportunity
- Digital Transformation-Global Opportunity
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
8. Conclusions and Future Outlook
- Key Conclusions and Future Outlook
- Legal Disclaimer
- Digital Transformation Framework
- Digital Transformation Framework-Digital Ecosystem
- Digital Transformation Framework-Business Models
- Digital Transformation Framework-Business Functions