Comprised of pre and DIY built gaming computers, upgrades, and accessories such as input devices and audio/communication systems, the market exceeded $30 billion in 2016 and is forecast to grow at a 6% CAGR through 2019.
Due to an entrenched PC gaming culture, large population, and a lack of significant console traction, the Asia Pacific Region leads the world in both growth and market size with a forecasted 7% CAGR to 2019 from a TAM of almost $11.3 billion in 2016. However, North America and Western Europe both individually lead Asia Pacific for High-End hardware, albeit at lower growth rates of 5.78% and 6.63% vs. 9.61% respectively. The western appetite for PC gaming systems costing thousands of dollars is strong.
Part of the phenomena analysts have observed is that the ranks of PC gamers are growing in the Mid and High-End where ASPs are high. Also that the average PC sale is increasingly motivated by the video game use model which is important to understand in a stagnant or declining overall PC market. As basic computing functions become more entrenched with mobile devices, the PC ultimately becomes a power user’s tool. Whether for gaming, photo and video editing, content creation, etc.
The report contains the following content:
- After-Market add-in board (AIB): Discussion and estimates of after-market graphics cards sales as upgrades and for home builds
- System Configured PCs: Discussion and estimates of PC sales influenced by gaming from companies that either sell pre-configured or custom configured builds. Estimates are broken into notebooks and desktop segments.
- Accessories and DIY: Discussion and estimates of accessory sales and the Do-It-Yourself (DYI) builds
- Charts, graphics, tables and more. Included with this report is an Excel workbook. It contains the data we used to create the charts in this report. The workbook has the charts and supplemental information broken out by platform.
1. Regional Breakdown
- Top Country Breakdown
- Processing Intensity Levels
- Number of Gamers
List of Tables
Table 1: Number of PC gamers worldwide in 2015
Table 2: Number of PC gamers worldwide in 2019
List of Figures
Figure 1: The Total PC Gaming Hardware Market by Region
Figure 2: The Total PC Gaming Hardware Market by Sector (Millions $US)
Figure 3: The Total PC Gaming Hardware Market by Sector 2015 vs. 2019 (Millions $US)
Figure 4: The Asia Pacific region benefits from entrenched PC Gaming cultures in addition to emerging markets.
Figure 5: With lower asp’s, massive population base, and economic growth the Asia/Pacific region dominates the market on a unit equivalent basis.
Figure 6: Asia/Pacific region leads the after-market AIB sales motivated by gaming for the obvious reasons, in addition to a populace willing and able to DIY and upgrade as long as possible.
Figure 7: On a unit equivalent basis the Asia/Pacific region consumes the most after-market AIB’s motivated by gaming
Figure 8: Total High-End PC Gaming Hardware Market in millions $US. The United States dominates this area with a size largert than the next two top markets
Figure 9: Total Mid-Range PC Gaming Hardware Market in millions $US. Note China’s growth.
Figure 10: High-End Processing Intensity Levels for game types
Figure 11: Mid-Range Processing Intensity Levels for game types
Figure 12: Entry-Level Processing Intensity Levels for game types