In 2017, Guinea will generate estimated telecom service revenue of US$390m (equivalent to 5.4% of nominal GDP), an increase of 1.0% from 2016, due to growth in mobile data and fixed Internet revenue. Mobile voice is expected to be the largest revenue-contributing segment and will account for 80.0% of total service revenue in 2017, owing to operator investments in 3G network expansions and promotional bundle offerings by operators.
It is expected that overall service revenue to grow at a CAGR of 4.7% during 2017-2022, driven mainly by mobile data revenue, as a result of rising adoption of 3G services. The fixed/mobile revenue split will be dominated by the mobile segment through 2017-2022; by the end of the period, mobile revenue will account for 97.3% of all service revenue.
2G remains the most used technology and is expected to account for 91.2% of mobile subscriptions in 2017. However, its share will decline over the forecast period and will reach 78.6% by 2022, due to rising adoption of 3G and 4G services. 3G subscriptions will grow at a CAGR of 28.8% during 2017-2022, to reach 3.4m subscriptions by 2022, driven by 3G network expansion and increasing demand for mobile data. The author expects 4G subscriptions to reach 88,648 by 2022, growing at a CAGR of 37.6%.
The top two operators, Orange Guinea and MTN, will account for 86.1% of total service revenue in 2017. Orange Guinea will continue to maintain its leadership position in the telecom market through 2022. Operators are focusing on network expansion and upgrades, enhancing mobile money services, flexible tariffs and bundled promotions to drive future growth.
Over the next five years, operators can focus on network expansion and upgrades to offer better quality of services and faster data transmission speeds. Moreover, operators can expand their value-added services such as mobile money, digital music and OTT video to further generate other potential streams of revenue in Guinea.
The report "Guinea (Conakry): Mobile Network Expansion and Innovative VAS to Spur Telecom Growth" provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Guinea Conakry today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022. Published annually, the report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband and mobile sectors, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
In particular, this report provides the following analysis:
- Regional context: Telecom market size and trends in Guinea Conakry compared with other countries in the region.
- Economic, demographic and political context in Guinea Conakry.
- The regulatory environment and trends: A review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, number portability and more.
- A demand profile: Analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice and mobile data.
- Service evolution: A look at changes in the breakdown of overall revenue between the fixed and mobile sectors and between voice and data from 2017 to 2022.
- The competitive landscape: An examination of key trends in competition and in the performance, revenue market shares and expected moves of service providers over the next 18-24 months.
- In-depth sector analysis of fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice and mobile data: A quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by network technology and by operator, as well as of average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period.
- The overall telecom service revenue in Guinea Conakry is estimated to generate $390m in 2017 and is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 4.7% during 2017-2022.
- Mobile revenue will account for 97.3% of total telecom revenue in 2022.
- The Guinea Conakry telecom market will be dominated by Orange Guinea and MTN Guinea. Operators will continue to invest in 2G/3G coverage expansions, deployment of fiber-optic cables and the ACE submarine cable to boost international connectivity.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Guinea Conakry's telecommunication market, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying the author’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Guinea Conakry's mobile communications, fixed telephony and broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Guinea Conakry's telecommunication market.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Guinea Conakry.
Market and competitor overview
Economic, demographic and political context
Major market players
Opportunities in the market
About the authors
Country Intelligence Report coverage