Total Knee Replacement (TKR) is a viable treatment option for patients whose knees have become excessively worn or degenerated due to osteoarthritis. The direct costs of nonsurgical management (including medication and physical therapy) of knee osteoarthritis, one of the most common joint injuries, pale in comparison to the indirect costs such as loss of earnings, disability payments, and reduced productivity.
It is estimated that sales of total knee replacement implants to be approximately US$6.53B in 2016. This market will grow at a CAGR of 3.1% over the forecast period, reaching sales of US$8.10B by 2023. Knee reconstruction is a fully mature market that has experienced no major innovation over the last decade other than incremental improvements.
Key drivers of the Total Knee Replacement (TKR) market in the forecast period are:
- Growing prevalence of osteoarthritis (OA) due to the pandemic of aging and obesity.
- Continued technological advancements in joint reconstruction surgeries, such as computer-assisted navigation systems and robotic technologies, which keep pushing the frontier of the market.
- Major underserved population for joint replacement in late-stage arthritis in the emerging markets, driving procedural numbers up for the knee replacement market.
- Healthcare reform and a focus on economical and sustainable modes of treatment.
- Commoditization of implant solutions.
After the 2015 megamerger of Zimmer and Biomet, today’s competitive landscape in the global knee reconstruction market is relatively stable, with Zimmer Biomet, the clear leader, representing almost a third of the market. DePuy Synthes, Stryker, and Smith & Nephew are also key competitors in the field, together accounting for about half of total revenues in the sector. The remainder of the market is occupied by several small- to mid-cap orthopedic companies, with MicroPort and Exactech leading the pack. Medtronic recently entered the primary knee arthroplasty market with its purchase of Responsive Orthopedic Knee System.
The report "MediPoint: Total Knee Replacement - Global Analysis and Market Forecasts" focuses on the market outlook for Total Knee Replacement (TKR) devices globally (39 Countries). The analysis identifies the key unmet needs in the Total Knee Replacement (TKR) market, discusses the major drivers and barriers of adoption, and provides an in-depth understanding of physicians’ perceptions and the future outlook for this market by segment and region.
In depth, this report provides the following:
- Overview of recent key industry events and analysis of their market impact.
- Annualized total market revenue, procedure trends, and market outlooks by segment and by region through 2023.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, identification of unmet needs, reimbursement considerations, evaluating market access in each region covered in the report, and implications of the emerging technologies in the market.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global Total Knee Replacement (TKR) market. Insightful review of industry drivers, barriers, and challenges.
*Note: This is an on-demand report and will be delivered within 3 working days (excluding weekends) of the purchase.
- Outlook of sales volume, pricing trends, revenue trends with 2016 as base year and forecasts until 2023, for total knee replacement implants.
- Company share analysis in 2016, for total knee replacement implants.
- Market insights and competitive assessment of the key players within the total knee replacement market.
- Identify the unmet needs with the current generation of knee replacement implants and understand how emerging technologies will meet these unmet needs.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the knee replacement market in the future
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and analyzing the performance of various competitors
1.1.1 Tobe Madu, MSc, Analyst, Medical Devices
2 Table of Contents
3 Executive Summary
3.1 Key Metrics
3.2 Market Dynamics
3.3 Key Players
3.4 Future Outlook
3.5 What Do Physicians Think?
4.2 Related Reports
4.3 Upcoming Related Reports
5 Market Outlook
5.1 Procedure Trends
5.2 Pricing Trends
5.3 Revenue Trends
5.4 Company Share Analysis
6 Market Insights
6.1 North America
6.2.1 Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden
6.2.2 Belgium, France, and Netherlands
6.2.3 Germany, and Switzerland
6.2.4 UK and Ireland
6.2.5 Italy, Portugal, and Spain
6.2.6 Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, and Poland
6.2.7 Russia, Turkey, and Greece
6.3.1 Australia and New Zealand
6.3.2 China and Taiwan
6.3.5 South Korea
6.4 South America
6.4.2 Argentina and Chile
6.5 Middle East and Africa
6.5.2 South Africa
6.5.3 Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and UAE
7 Competitive Assessment
7.1.1 Computer Navigation Technologies
7.1.2 Robotic Technologies
7.1.3 Generic Implants to Address Cost Concerns
7.1.4 Advanced Materials
7.1.5 Emerging Countries
7.1.6 Augmented implants
7.2.1 Portfolio Assessment
7.2.2 Competitive Positioning
7.3 DePuy Synthes
7.3.1 Portfolio Assessment
7.3.2 Deal Analysis
7.3.3 Competitive Positioning
7.4.1 Portfolio Assessment
7.4.2 Competitive Positioning
7.5 Lima Corporate
7.5.1 Portfolio Assessment
7.5.2 Deal Analysis
7.5.3 Competitive Positioning
7.6.1 Portfolio Assessment
7.6.2 Competitive Positioning
7.7.1 Portfolio Assessment
7.7.2 Deal Analysis
7.7.3 Competitive Positioning
7.8 MicroPort Orthopedics
7.8.1 Portfolio Assessment
7.8.2 Competitive Positioning
7.9 Smith & Nephew
7.9.1 Portfolio Assessment
7.9.2 Deal Analysis
7.9.3 Competitive Positioning
7.10.1 Portfolio Assessment
7.10.2 Deal Analysis
7.10.3 Competitive Positioning
7.11 Waldemar Link
7.11.1 Portfolio Assessment
7.11.2 Competitive Positioning
7.12 Zimmer Biomet
7.12.1 Portfolio Assessment
7.12.2 Deal Analysis
7.12.3 Competitive Positioning
7.13 Other Players
8.3.3 Secondary Research
8.3.4 Forecasting Methodology
8.3.5 Primary Research Summary
8.4 About MediPoint
List of Tables
Table 1: TKR Market, Key Metrics, 2016-2023
Table 2: North America TKR Procedure Volume Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 3: Europe TKR Procedure Volume Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 4: APAC TKR Procedure Volume Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 5: South America TKR Procedure Volume Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 6: Middle East and Africa TKR Procedure Volume Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 7: North America TKR Implant Average Selling Price ($) Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 8: Europe TKR Implant Average Selling Price ($) Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 9: Asia-Pacific TKR Implant Average Selling Price ($) Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 10: South America TKR Implant Average Selling Price ($) Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 11: Middle East and Africa TKR Implant Average Selling Price ($) Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 12: North America TKR Market Revenue Forecast ($M), 2014-2023
Table 13: Europe TKR Market Revenue Forecast ($M), 2014-2023
Table 14: Asia-Pacific TKR Market Revenue Forecast ($M), 2014-2023
Table 15: South America TKR Market Revenue Forecast ($M), 2014-2023
Table 16: Middle East and Africa TKR Market Revenue Forecast ($M), 2014-2023
Table 17: North America TKR Company Share Analysis, 20161
Table 18: Europe TKR Company Share Analysis, 20161, 2
Table 19: Asia-Pacific TKR Company Share Analysis, 20161
Table 20: South America TKR Company Share Analysis, 20161, 2
Table 21: Middle East and Africa TKR Company Share Analysis, 20161, 2
Table 22: Aesculap - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 23: Aesculap - Key Clinical Trials
Table 24: DePuy Synthes - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 25: DePuy Synthes - Key Clinical Trials
Table 26: Exactech - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 27: Exactech - Key Clinical Trials
Table 28: Lima Corporate - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 29: Lima Corporate - Key Clinical Trials
Table 30: Medacta - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 31: Medacta - Key Clinical Trials
Table 32: Medtronic - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 33: MicroPort - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 34: Microport - Key Clinical Trials
Table 35: Smith & Nephew - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 36: Smith & Nephew - Key Clinical Trials
Table 37: Stryker - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 38: Stryker - Key Clinical Trials
Table 39: Waldemar Link - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 40: Waldemar Link - Key Clinical Trials
Table 41: Zimmer Biomet - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 42: Zimmer Biomet - Key Clinical Trials
Table 43: Summary of Other Players in the TKR Market, 2016
List of Figures
Figure 1: North America TKR Market Share Comparison by Country, 2016 and 2023
Figure 2: Europe TKR Market Share Comparison by Country, 2016 and 2023
Figure 3: APAC TKR Market Share Comparison by Country, 2016 and 2023
Figure 4: South America TKR Market Share Comparison by Country, 2016 and 2023
Figure 5: Middle East and Africa TKR Market Share Comparison by Country, 2016 and