After over 15 years of daily monitoring and focus on the Russian economy and its segments, the author came up with the idea of creating a unique product - a comprehensive line of research into the key sectors of the Russian economy. The analytical materials describe the development of industries over the past 5 years and growth prospects for the next 3 years in the following areas:
- Russian construction industry.
- Russian transport industry.
- Russian farming sector.
- Russian production of food and beverages.
- Russian fuel and energy sector.
- Food retail and consumer market of Russia.
- Non-Food retail and consumer market of Russia.
The research is based on a common methodology and structure helping not only to obtain detailed insights into one industry, but also to explore and compare diverse sectors.
N. B.! The research has been released in an innovative format of a convenient e-presentation: this is the most preferable format, which, in addition to the text, includes a large amount of graphic material (drawings, diagrams, tables), as well as hyperlinks to the most important regulatory documents and corporate websites. First time all products are available in English.
Relevance of the research “Non-Food retail and consumer market of Russia. Growth prospects in 2017-2019”.
- The events of 2014, steep ruble devaluation, slapped embargo on EU food products and, as a result, big price spikes in the consumer market, falling purchasing power caused dramatic deterioration in the industry.
- The retail turnover in kind lost 10% in 2015. In 2016, the downward trend persisted: the retail turnover in kind dropped 4.6% to 28.3 tn. RUB by the end of the year. In 2017, the decline in the retail turnover slowed, during 5 months of 2017 the retail turnover in kind shrank by 0.8% (in the same period of 2016, the decline reached 4.9%).
- The consumer behavior changed in 2015-2016: Russians began to save more and tried to become more rational and savvy in their spending. It is crucial that this is not a temporary phenomenon triggered by the crisis, but a new paradigm for the development of the industry and the society for the next 3-5 years.
- Nevertheless, the revenue of most big-league retailers included in Retail Russia TOP-100 is demonstrating double-digit growth. Those ranked in the TOP-100 of Russian retail opened 12,000 new stores with 3.4 M sq. m selling space in 2016. This is a new high in terms of expansion in Russia.
- In order to understand the pace of recovery in the retail market and future expectations, we conducted a comprehensive research of the industry covering all its segments. With the help of this product, you will be able to determine the position of your company regarding the development trends in the industry and plan possible ways of business growth.
Purposes of the Research:
- review the industry as a whole and its individual segments (DIY & Household, furniture, consumer electronics, computer equipment and mobile devices, fashion and baby goods, beauty products and drogerie, drugstores, online stores);
- ranking retailers by revenue, number of stores, selling space for each of the segments (DIY & Household, furniture, consumer electronics, computer equipment and mobile devices, fashion and baby goods, beauty products and drogerie, drugstores, online stores);
- description of the key trends in the development of the industry, flagship events, outlooks for the industry’s growth as a whole and its individual segments;
- insights into consumer behavior;
- development of a scenario outlook for the development of Non-Food retail;
- review and analysis of government regulation.
The research findings can be used in: benchmarking, competitor analysis, marketing and strategic planning, prospecting for new customers and partners, preparing for negotiations with retail chains.
Research timeline: Dynamics since 2011, results of 2016 (macroeconomic indicators of retail trade, demand in the consumer market, capacity and market dynamics by segments, operating and financial indicators of retail chains). Outlooks for 2017-2019 (capacity, dynamics and structure of the retail market in Russia by segments (DIY & Household, furniture, consumer electronics, computer equipment and mobile devices, fashion and baby goods, beauty products and drogerie, drugstores, online stores), strategies and plans for the development of the biggest chains).
Research schedule: Q2 2017.
- innovative format of e-presentation;
- structured description and analysis of trends and development prospects in the selected markets (DIY & household, furniture, consumer electronics, computer equipment and mobile devices, fashion and baby goods, beauty products and drogerie, drugstores, online stores);
- scenario outlooks for the development of Non-Food retail
- coverage of not just conventional retailers, but also of the leading representatives of the online segment;
- A brand new market survey of the largest suppliers: results of 2016, the outlook for 2017;
- the bedrock of the research is the annually updated and enlarged database of over 1,000 largest retail chains in Russia in different areas of commerce; throughout the year, analysts incessantly compiled, aggregated, verified and analyzed operating and financial indicators of Russian retail companies;
- ratings of retail chains (TOP-10) by financial and operating indicators for retail segments (DIY & Household, furniture, consumer electronics, computer equipment and mobile devices, fashion and baby goods, beauty products and drogerie, drugstores, online stores);
- fact sheets of top retail chains - leaders in the Non-Food retail segments (Leroy Merlin, Safmar retail, Sportmaster, Detsky Mir, 36.6, A.v.e drugstores, etc., L'Etoile, Wildberries);
- availability in English.
Research Objectives and Structure by Sections:
Part 1. Key indicators of retail trade and consumer market. Macroeconomic indicators of retail trade - dynamics of turnover and money supply. Structure of retail turnover by types of goods and organizations. Regional structure of retail turnover. Inflation in the Food and Non-Food market. Personal incomes and spending. Monetary policy. Consumer expectations and confidence.
Part 2. Government regulation of retail trade. Government regulation of FMCG and Non-Food retail.
Part 3. Individual segments. Market dynamics and capacity, trends and development prospects, outlooks for market segments (DIY & Household, furniture, consumer electronics, computer equipment and mobile devices, fashion and baby goods, beauty products and drogerie, drugstores, online stores). We also provide the ratings of retail chains in each segment (by revenue, number of stores, selling space) and prospects for the development of the biggest retailers. Description of flagship events in the industry: development of supply chain systems and distribution centers, M&A, resignations and appointments, rebranding and development of new formats.
Part 4. Market of malls. Key indicators of the mall market, the largest commissioned malls, the rating of mall owners, key industry events, investment projects in the early stages of construction, news of the largest projects in progress.
Part 5. Outlook for Non-Food retail turnover by segments in 2017-2019. Scenario conditions and indicators of economic development in Russia in 2017-2019, Non-Food retail development scenarios, the outlook for the dynamics of personal incomes and spending, the outlook for retail turnover, the outlook for retail turnover by segments: DIY & Household, furniture, consumer electronics, computer equipment and mobile devices, fashion and baby goods, beauty products and drogerie, drugstores, online stores.
1. Retail and consumer market highlights
1.1. Retail turnover
1.2. Retail turnover by categories
1.3. Structure of retail turnover by segments
1.4. Regional structure of Food retail turnover
1.5. Regional structure of Non-Food retail turnover
1.6. Personal incomes and spending over time
1.7. Consumer borrowing and deposits
1.8. Structure of personal incomes and spending
1.9. Consumer behavior
2. Government control in retail
2.1. Government control in FMGG retail
2.2. Government control in Non-Food retail
3. Retailer's positions per segment
3.1. DIY&Household and Furniture Retail
3.1.1. Retails sales of DIY&Household and Furniture
3.1.2. TOP 10 retailers of DIY&Household and Furniture
3.1.3. Market survey of largest DIY suppliers: 2016 results and 2017 forecast
3.1.4. Leroy Merlin Details
3.2. HA&E and mobile devices retail
3.2.1. Retail sales of home appliances, electronics, and mobile devices
3.2.2. TOP 10 HA&E and mobile device retailers
3.2.3. Details of SAFMAR COMPANY GROUP: Tehnosila, Eldorado, M.Video
3.3. Baby goods and fashion retail
3.3.1. Retail of fashion (clothers, shoes, sports gear, accessories and baby goods
3.3.2. TOP-10 fashion retailers
3.3.3. Spormaster details
3.3.4. Detsky Mir details
3.4. Pharmacy retail
3.4.1. Pharmacy retail sales
3.4.2. TOP-10 pharmacy retailers
3.4.3. PAO 36.6 Pharmacy chain (A.V.E. Group) details
3.5. Cosmetics and Drogerie retail
3.5.1. Cosmetics and Drogerie retail sales
3.5.2. TOP-10 Cosmetics and Drogerie retailers
3.5.3. L’Etoile details
3.6. E-Commerce retail
3.6.1. E-Commerce structure
3.6.2. TOP-10 E-Commerce retailers
3.6.3. Details of WILDBERRIES.RU Online retailer
3.7. Non-Food retail chains distribution centers (DC) and Logistics
3.8. M&A transactions of non-food retail chains
3.9. Non-Food retail dismissals and appointments
3.10. Rebranding and new formats of non-food retail chains
4. Market of shopping malls
4.1. Key highlights of the commercial real estate market
4.2. Largest commissioned shopping malls
4.3. Rating of mall owners Developer Russia TOP
4.4. Key events in the market of shopping malls
4.5. Projects of shopping malls at early construction stages
5. Non-Food Retail forecasts per 2017-2019 segment
5.1. Russia’s economic development scenarios and highlights
5.2. non-food retail development scenarios
5.3. Population’s income and expenditure dynamics forecast
5.4. Retail turnover forecast
5.5. Non-Food retail development forecast