Everything you need to know about China’s urbanization plan and implications for company strategy. Learn how to prioritize city-clusters, why ‘city-level’ is the most effective approach, and which business activities will require adjustments.
China is currently undergoing a once-in-a-lifetime transition to a consumption- and services-based growth model. To facilitate this transition, the government has embarked on an ambitious urbanization drive to turn tens of millions of rural farmers into urban consumers.
The government has a detailed blueprint outlining how it intends to implement this project. A key component is targeting city clusters as the country’s core economic structure over the coming years. Companies who familiarize themselves with this program and adopt a clustering strategy of their own will benefit from additional scale and a more efficient use of resources.
To that end, we have developed a tool that will enable multinationals to identify the cities and clusters of most value to their business. Executives should consider using this tool to align their organization’s approach to China with the government’s city-cluster development model.
What you will learn
- Why city-level is the ONLY way to approach China moving forward
- How to determine which city clusters represent the greatest opportunity
- Understand key areas of adjustment across sales, distribution and talent
1. Executive Summary
2. China’s Urbanization Blueprint
- City Clustering Example
- China Must Urbanize to Sustain Growth
- The Government Has a Plan
- Reform Will Be Required
- More Infrastructure Will Be Required
- Chian is Taking a City Clustering Approach
- Industry Clusters Will Bolster City Clusters
- Pilot Programs Will Facilitate the Plan
- Why Multinationals Should Take a Cluster Approach
3. Prioritization Framework and Methodology
- China’s 19 City Clusters
- The Clusters by 2020
- How to Assess City-Level Attractiveness
4. Key Considerations for Multinationals
- Sales Force Effectiveness
- Talent Management
- Product Segmentation
- Spreadsheet Model for Market Prioritization
- Cluster Map Template
- List of Hub Cities
- Indicators Used & Ranking Methodology
- China City Data
6. About us