1,400 vehicles were exhibited at the 2017 Shanghai Auto Show and more than 10% of them were new energy vehicles. The huge number of exhibited NEVs indicates that these vehicles are not only the main focus of the Chinese government, but are also becoming one of the key businesses for automakers in China.
This research study aims to discover the marketing strategies and the technology development of 3 types of automakers: top NEV makers, mainstream passenger vehicle (PV) makers, and emerging new participants.
The high market potential has attracted competitive new participants and they have shown confidence in the shift in consumer preference to battery electric vehicles (BEVs). To stay competitive in the market, existing key Chinese New Energy Passenger Vehicle (NEPV) makers such as BYD and Geely are utilizing various strategies such as “electrifying” current internal combustion engine car models or offering the plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) model with the existing BEV model designs. For foreign automakers, localization of the NEV production is getting more important and the relaxation of the joint venture (JV) policy indicates a great opportunity to form a third joint venture in China and access to more market resources. Besides, emerging NEV makers such as YUDO and Zhiche has also shown the confidence in the shift in consumer preference towards BEVs.
Nevertheless, business transformation is a need in the fast-changing market. NEV-as-as-Service and alternatives for car ownership are likely to fulfill the demands of consumers, especially millennials, who are more willing to accept new types of services.
Key Target Audience
- Global automakers
- Business development, planning, and strategy
- Battery manufacturers
- Venture capitalists
- Marketing and product management
This research service aims to discover the technology and market strategies of the automakers in the Chinese new energy vehicle market.
The following 3 types of automakers are analyzed:
- Top 3 new energy PV makers in China: BYD Auto, Geely Auto, and BAIC Group
- Mainstream PV makers in China: Volkswagen Group, Hyundai Group, General Motors Group
- Key emerging NEV makers in China: ICONIQ Motors, Hybrid Kinetic Group, YUDO, Lynk & Co, Zhiche Auto, and Taihangauto
Key Questions This Study Will Answer
- What are the technology and market strategies of the top new energy vehicle makers in China?
- What is the planning and strategy of the mainstream PV automakers for the Chinese new energy vehicle market?
- Which are the key emerging participants in the market?
- What business model will help automakers succeed in this market?
1. Executive Summary
- Key Findings
2. Vehicle Definitions
- Definition of New Energy Vehicles in China
3. Auto Show Key Figures
- 2017 Shanghai Auto Show Key Figures
4. Chinese New Energy Vehicle Market Overview
- Chinese Auto Industry Transformation
- Key Participants of the Chinese Passenger Vehicle Market
5. Research & Analysis Framework
6. Key Highlights of the Top 3 NEPV Makers
- BYD Auto - BYD Yuan EV
- BYD Auto - BYD Qin 100
- Geely Group - Emgrand PHEV
- Geely Group - Emgrand EV300
- BAIC Group - BAIC BJEV EX400L
- BAIC Group - ARCFOX-7
- Key Insights from the Top 3 NEPV Makers
7. Future Chinese NEV Market Plan of the Mainstream PV Makers
- Volkswagen Group - Volkswagen e-Golf
- Volkswagen Group - Future NEV Market Plan Highlights
- Hyundai Group - Hyundai FE Fuel Cell
- Hyundai Group - Future NEV Market Plan Highlights
- General Motors Group - Buick Velite 5
- General Motors Group - Future NEV Market Plan Highlights
- Key Insights from the Top 3 Mainstream PV Makers
8. Key Emerging NEV Makers in China
- ICONIQ Motors - ICONIQ Seven
- Hybrid Kinetic Group - K750
- YUDO - YUDO p3
- Lynk & Co - Lynk & Co 01
- Zhiche Auto - Singulato iS6
- Taihangauto - Taihangauto A1
- Key Insights from Emerging NEV Makers
9. Growth Opportunities and Key Success Factors
- Growth Opportunity 1 - NEV as a Service
- Growth Opportunity 2 - Relaxation of the JV Policy
- Growth Opportunity 3 - Alternatives for Car Ownership
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
10. The Last Word
- BAIC Group
- BYD Auto
- Geely Group
- General Motors Group
- Hybrid Kinetic Group
- Hyundai Group
- ICONIQ Motors
- Lynk & Co
- Volkswagen Group
- Zhiche Auto