With automatic navigation, remote control, and aerial photography technology becoming trendy, the use of UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles), also known as drones, has expanded rapidly from national defense to various applications such as disaster monitoring, environmental exploration, topographic mapping, logistics, and transportation.
This trend has further helped UAV move to the commercial market thus UAV development is worth more attention around the globe. Through patent mining results, this report provides UAV major vendors' patent deployment status and technology readiness; examines key and relevant technologies of UAV as well as patent strategies of international and Taiwanese players.
Also included are the insights about market opportunities of UAV for newcomers.
List of Topics:
- Analysis of 1,322 UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) patents by technology field using the data mining technique; also included are the detailed profile of top 20 assignees and their relative R&D intensity ranking
- Trend analysis of the global UAV patent distribution by key technology and by relevant technology
- Analysis of the development of major UAV players: Boeing, SZ DJI, Honeywell, and IBM
- Matrix analysis of UAV key and relevant technologies/international and Taiwanese assignees
1. Patent Mining
1.1 Patent Search
1.1.1 Selecting a Patent Database
1.1.2 Identifying Search Keywords
1.1.3 Data Selection
1.1.4 Data Analysis
2. Trends Analysis USing Data Mining
2.1 R&D Readiness Analysis
2.1.1 R&D Intensity
3. Trends Analysis
3.1 Major Patent Assignees
3.1.1 Analysis of Trends by Key Technology
3.1.2 Analysis of Trends by Relevant Technology
3.2 Major Taiwanese Assignees
3.2.2 Analysis of Trends by Relevant Technology
4.1 US Businesses Lead in UAV Patent Counts with Relatively High R&D Intensity
4.2 UAV Key Patents Focus on "Navigation by More Than One Navigational Value," and "Control of Position or Course in 3D"
4.3 UAV Relevant Technology Patents Leaning on "Aeroplanes; Helicopters," "Pictorial Communication," and "Systems for Controlling Non-Electric Variables"
Glossary of Terms
List of Companies
List of Tables:
Table 1 R&D Intensity of Top 20 International UAV Patent Assignees
Table 2 R&D Intensity of Taiwanese UAV Patent Assignees
Table 3 UAV Key Technology/International Assignee Matrix Analysis
Table 4 UAV Relevant Technology/Patent Assignee Matrix Analysis
Table 5 UAV Key Technology/Taiwanese Patent Assignee Matrix Analysis
Table 6 UAV Relevant Technology/Taiwanese Assignee Matrix Analysis"
- 3D Robotics
- Aero Vironment
- Ideal Loisirs
- L-3 Communication
- Lockheed Martin
- Rockwell Collins
- SAAB AB
- Sikorsky Aircraft
- SZ DJI
- Unmanned Innovation
- Verizon Patent and Licensing