The IoT & LPWA Network Deployment Tracker is a spreadsheet-based report that tracks the rollout of LPWA networks and other networks dedicated to providing communications for the Internet of Things (IoT). Whenever a new network is found to have been launched, or has been announced as forthcoming, it is added to this data set. The tracker records the rollout of commercially available (i.e., public) networks only.
2016 was the year of LPWA network announcements, seeing the 19 networks announced at the end of 2015 grow to 117. Prior to 2016, only one NB-IoT network announcement had been formally made. By the end of 2016, NB-IoT was the most common LPWA technology, accounting for 38 networks, or one-third of all deployments announced.
During the 1H17, the explosion of interest in LPWA service provision continued, with 161 networks being announced and/or deployed by the end of June. NB-IoT continues to account for one-third of the total. Cat. M accounts for the biggest change, having grown from eight announced networks at the end of 2016 to 22.
A variety of companies are launching public LPWA networks, including broadband and fixed-line providers, utilities, and tower companies. 40 of the networks identified are being run by start-ups. Incumbent MNOs are also seeking a technology toolbox for IoT, with 16 cellular network operators announcing the deployment of LoRa, in addition to either Cat. M or NB-IoT.
Features and benefits:
- Identifies LPWA and IoT public network announcements and which operators are involved.
- Summarizes LPWA and IoT networks by technology and segments the deployments by geography.
- Summarizes LPWA and IoT networks by status and which ones are planned, in trial, or commercially available.
- Where are LPWA and IoT networks being launched?
- What LPWA and IoT network technologies are being chosen?
- Who are the operators of the LPWA and IoT networks?
- How many LPWA and IoT networks are there and how are the rollouts dynamic changing over time?
- Which companies are backing these new LPWA and IoT network operations?