Since the 3GPP finalized the standards for licensed cellular LPWA technologies (EC-GSM, NB-IoT, and Cat. M, also known as LTE-M) in June 2016, there has been a sharp rise in the number of pilots and announcements of commercial deployments from MNOs around the world. On the other hand, unlicensed cellular LPWA technologies (Sigfox, LoRa, etc.) have also gained momentum.
NB-IoT is expected to be the dominant cellular LPWA technology for the IoT globally. That prediction is largely predicated on Chinese MNOs driving NB-IoT deployments in the huge China market. In short, what the Chinese MNOs do in China will make or break the global case for NB-IoT. So far, they have not disappointed.
Features and benefits:
- Examines significant LPWA developments in Asia and Oceania up to 1H17.
- Examines MNOs' plans for deploying multiple LPWA technologies.
- Chinese MNOs lead NB-IoT momentum in Asia and Oceania
- Sigfox sets new low mark for connectivity pricing
- More MNOs plan for multiple LPWA technology network
- Further reading