MTN Nigeria collaborated with Lumos to launch mobile solar electricity systems for the benefit of the unconnected and underserved populations of the country. The Lumos Mobile Electricity Service kit comprises a solar panel, an indoor power unit, phone charging accessories, two LED lightbulbs, and a DC-to-AC converter. With this service, underserved Nigerians in rural areas get access to electricity for everyday use and pay with airtime from an MTN mobile phone. The kit can light up bulbs and power appliances like fans, televisions, mobile phones, and computers.
- Mobile billing has been around for more than a decade; however, the combination of a wireless operator's reach and capitalization on spreading energy solutions to the unconnected is an innovative development.
- This service is not just pushing products to urban areas; it is a combination of monetizing new untapped revenue streams in a rather challenging economy and expanding the brand's reach by being perceived as a socially responsible enabler in its economy.
- Assesses an innovative service.
- Captures innovation opportunities from emerging markets that are transferable to almost any economy with a large urban population.
- What can a service provider do to expand its mobile payments solution reach?
- How can service providers partner with utility companies for mutual benefit?