The author undertook a study of 100 UK merchants to investigate the state of online commerce and better understand how the industry perceives its own challenges in 2017 and into 2018. This study included a detailed questionnaire asking merchants about their online capabilities and perceived challenges and opportunities.
The importance of digital channels to commerce in the UK continues to grow at a rapid pace. Among the merchants surveyed, mobile channels are expected to account for a sevenfold increase in sales between 2015 and 2019.
Features and benefits:
- Assesses how UK merchants are adapting to some of the challenges they face in remaining competitive in the online space.
- Learn how reducing payment friction requires new forms of innovation, such as lines of consumer credit at the online checkout.
- How important are millennials to e-commerce today? What proportion of sales do they account for, and what impact is this having on investment strategies?
- How important are online returns capabilities? Do larger firms have any advantages over smaller ones?
- Publisher's view
- Key messages
- Recommendations for enterprises
- Recommendations for vendors
- Digital channels are key to success
- Millennials and Generation Z now make up a majority of online shoppers
- A frictionless checkout is more critical than ever
- 76% of retailers want to offer new financing options online
- Free returns increase online sales but place pressure on merchant margins