MediPoint: Partial Knee Replacement - Global Analysis and Market Forecasts
The incidences of osteoarthritis of the knee and other degenerative knee diseases are increasing simultaneously with the aging population. Partial knee replacement (PKR), or unicondylar knee arthroplasty (UKA), is an alternative to total knee arthroplasty (TKA) used to treat patients whose osteoarthritic condition is isolated to the medial or lateral tibio-femoral compartments. PKR is a less invasive procedure than TKA that replaces only the damaged part of the joint with a prosthesis, resulting in less blood loss and the preservation of healthy ligaments, cartilage, and bone in the knee. The decision to undergo a PKR instead of TKR is based on the disease stage, patient expectations, published results, and surgeon expertise.
Over the past two decades, there has been increasing interest in Partial knee replacement (PKR) as a means of treating unicompartmental knee osteoarthritis. Indications have expanded while previous contraindications such as age, body mass index, patellofemoral osteoarthritis, and anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) deficiency have been lifted. Technological advancements in implant design, fixation methods, and surgical techniques have led to improved survival rates, better patient-reported outcomes, and reduced complications. Interest is growing in robotic-assisted techniques, which are poised to optimize results and reproducibility. Cementless designs also look promising, although given the anatomy of the knee condyles, this might introduce more risks to the overall procedure.
As countries’ economy grows, the volume of partial knee replacement procedures is expected to increase further, primarily due to the demographics of an aging population and a trend towards early surgical intervention in younger patients. In the forecast years, launching and marketing a comprehensive large joint portfolio with a clear value proposition will remain critical to companies’ success as they jockey for market position. A long-term foothold within the global knee market hinges on how well companies can align themselves with the primary market force buffeting healthcare today: the need to deliver top-notch, cost-effective care.
Given the heightened competitive pressures and shrinking reimbursement, the average selling price for Partial knee replacement (PKR) implants is expected to decline in all of the geographies covered in this report. However, it is expected that the revenue from increased procedure volume will make up for this loss.
This report focuses on the market outlook for Partial knee replacement (PKR) devices in the 39 markets across North America (Canada, Mexico, and US), Europe (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, and UK), Asia-Pacific (APAC: Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, and Taiwan), South America (Argentina, Brazil, and Chile), and the Middle East and Africa (Egypt, Israel, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, and United Arab Emirates). The analysis identifies the key drivers in the Partial knee replacement (PKR) market, discusses the competitive landscape, and provides future outlook for this market by geography.
*Note: This is an on-demand report and will be delivered within 3 working days (excluding weekends) of the purchase.
Key Questions Answered
- What is the current and future Partial knee replacement (PKR) market outlook in the developed and emerging markets? What trends are affecting the global market?
- Which are the key, high growth markets that Partial knee replacement (PKR) manufacturers should expand into?
- What are the unmet needs with the current generation of Partial knee replacement (PKR) devices? How will emerging technologies fulfill these unmet needs?
- What are the challenges and complications that have hindered widespread adoption?
- With developing the next-generation of devices, what aspects of the technology are device manufacturers focused on optimizing? How will new entrants impact the Partial knee replacement (PKR) market?
- Overview of recent key industry events and analysis of their market impact.
- Annualized total market revenue, procedure trends, and market outlooks by segment and by region through 2023.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, identification of unmet needs, reimbursement considerations, evaluating market access in each region covered in the report, and implications of the emerging technologies in the market.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global PKR market. Insightful review of industry drivers, barriers, and challenges.
Reasons to buy
The report will enable you to:
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of marketed products and technologies.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the video laparoscopes market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the video laparoscopes market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track device sales in country-specific video laparoscopes market from 2014-2023.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
1 About the Authors
1.1.1 Tobe Madu, MSc, Analyst, Medical Devices
2 Table of Contents
3 Executive Summary
3.1 Key Metrics
3.2 Market Dynamics
3.3 Key Players
3.4 Future Outlook
3.5 What Do Physicians Think?
4.2 Related Reports
4.3 Upcoming Related Reports
5 Market Outlook
5.1 Procedure Trends
5.2 Pricing Trends
5.3 Revenue Trends
5.4 Company Share Analysis
6 Market Insights
6.1 North America
6.2.1 Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden
6.2.2 Belgium, France, and Netherlands
6.2.3 Germany and Switzerland
6.2.4 UK and Ireland
6.2.5 Italy, Portugal, and Spain
6.2.6 Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, and Poland
6.2.7 Russia, Turkey, and Greece
6.3.1 Australia and New Zealand
6.3.2 China and Taiwan
6.3.5 South Korea
6.4 South America
6.4.2 Argentina and Chile
6.5 Middle East and Africa
6.5.2 South Africa
6.5.3 Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and UAE
7 Competitive Assessment
7.1.1 Robotic Technologies
7.1.2 Generic Implants to Address Cost Concerns
7.1.3 Advanced Materials
7.1.4 Emerging Countries
7.2 DePuy Synthes
7.2.1 Portfolio Assessment
7.2.2 Deal Analysis
7.2.3 Competitive Positioning
7.3.1 Portfolio Assessment
7.3.2 Deal Analysis
7.3.3 Competitive Positioning
7.4 Smith & Nephew
7.4.1 Portfolio Assessment
7.4.2 Deal Analysis
7.4.3 Competitive Positioning
7.5 Zimmer Biomet
7.5.1 Portfolio Assessment
7.5.2 Deal Analysis
7.5.3 Competitive Positioning
7.6 Other Players
8.3.3 Secondary Research
8.3.4 Forecasting Methodology
8.3.5 Primary Research Summary
8.4 About MediPoint
List of Tables
Table 1: PKR Market, Key Metrics, 2016-2023
Table 2: North America PKR Procedure Volume Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 3: Europe PKR Procedure Volume Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 4: APAC PKR Procedure Volume Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 5: South America PKR Procedure Volume Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 6: Middle East and Africa PKR Procedure Volume Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 7: North America PKR Implant Average Selling Price ($) Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 8: Europe PKR Implant Average Selling Price ($) Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 9: Asia-Pacific PKR Implant Average Selling Price ($) Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 10: South America PKR Implant Average Selling Price ($) Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 11: Middle East and Africa PKR Implant Average Selling Price ($) Forecast, 2014-2023
Table 12: North America PKR Market Revenue Forecast ($M), 2014-2023
Table 13: Europe PKR Market Revenue Forecast ($M), 2014-2023
Table 14: Asia-Pacific PKR Market Revenue Forecast ($M), 2014-2023
Table 15: South America PKR Market Revenue Forecast ($M), 2014-2023
Table 16: Middle East and Africa PKR Market Revenue Forecast ($M), 2014-2023
Table 17: North America PKR Company Share Analysis, 20161
Table 18: Europe PKR Company Share Analysis, 20161, 2
Table 19: Asia-Pacific PKR Company Share Analysis, 20161
Table 20: South America PKR Company Share Analysis, 20161, 2
Table 21: Middle East and Africa PKR Company Share Analysis, 20161, 2
Table 22: DePuy Synthes - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 23: DePuy Synthes - Key Clinical Trials
Table 24: Stryker - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 25: Stryker - Key Clinical Trials
Table 26: Smith & Nephew - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 27: Zimmer Biomet - Key Marketed Products Assessment
Table 28: Summary of Other Players in the PKR Market, 2016
List of Figures
Figure 1: North America PKR Market Share Comparison by Country, 2016 and 2023
Figure 2: Europe PKR Market Share Comparison by Country, 2016 and 2023
Figure 3: APAC PKR Market Share Comparison by Country, 2016 and 2023
Figure 4: South America PKR Market Share Comparison by Country, 2016 and 2023
Figure 5: Middle East and Africa PKR Market Share Comparison by Country, 2016 and 2023