We are living in a time of extreme inequality: America s three richest people now own as much wealth as the bottom half of the population. Although most accept that this is grotesque, many politicians accept it as irreversible.
In this book, leading US researcher and activist Chuck Collins succinctly diagnoses the drivers of rampant inequality, arguing that such disparities have their roots in 40 years of the powerful rigging the system in their favor. He proposes a far–reaching policy agenda, analyzes the barriers to progress, and shows how transformative local campaigns can become a national movement for change.
This book is a powerful analysis of how the plutocracy sold us a toxic lie, and what we can do to reverse inequality.
- Chapter 1: Why Does Inequality Matter? (And Why is It Happening?)
- Chapter 2: What are the barriers to change?
- Chapter 3: Changing the Rules: Raising Floors, Opening Doors
- Chapter 4: Reducing the Concentration of Wealth
- Chapter 5: Campaigns to Change the Future
Morris Pearl, Patriotic Millionaires
If you care about building a just and equitable society, this book is for you. Chuck Collins offers savvy remedies, interventions, and strategies so that ordinary Americans can fight back, reverse inequality, and restore democracy.
Katrina vanden Heuvel,The Nation