North America accounts for 32% of the market share. North American market was estimated at $1776.6 million in 2014 and is expected to reach $2709 million by 2020 with a CAGR of 7.3% during the forecasted period of 2015-2020. The region is the second largest market for whey protein after Europe. In terms of both import and export, whey protein market in the region is highly matured and is still growing. United States was the major market within the region, followed by Canada and Mexico; Canada is an emerging market for whey Proteins.
Rising demand for dairy ingredients has given this market a hike. Consumers are aware of the health needs and how dairy ingredients benefit their wellness. This is one of the major drivers in the market. An explosive trend of healthy food was witnessed in regions like US and Canada creating a demand for ingredients such as whey protein. Due to busy lifestyle and work culture, consumers are opting for ready to go meals and bevergaes. Whey protein gives them energy and keeps them healthy.
Whey protein's increasing fame among consumers is based on its various advantages; including cancer fighting capacity, improvement of immune system, stress reduction, diet support, fat loss and mass gain. The side effects of whey protein consumption are insignificant and can take effect if consumed immoderately. Thus, the U.S. FDA has regulated usage of whey protein to 2g/day, which turns out to be a restraint for the market. Side-effects of overconsumption of whey protein include nausea, diarrhoea, thirst, bloating, tiredness, cramps, headache and loss of appetite.
Whey protein is produced by splitting the casein content from milk, major allergen is subsided from its composition. Normal dosage of whey protein for a sports person/athlete is approximately 1.0 to 1.2 grams per kilogram (weight) per day.
Clinical usage seems to be an emerging opportunity for the market. The increasing prescription of supplements by doctors is giving an opportunity for manufacturers to build products that are clinically proven and approved.
Agropur MSI, American dairy Products institute, Arla Foods, DMK Group, Milk Specialities Global are some major players in the industry. Their product portfolio, research & development, strategic initiatives and commitment towards meeting consumer's demands play a major role maintaining market stability.
This Report Offers:
- Market definition for the specified topic along with identification of key drivers and restraints for the market.
- Market analysis for the North America whey protein market, with region specific assessments and competition analysis on a global and regional scale.
- Identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenarios, rising prospective opportunities and identification of key companies, which can influence the market.
- Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies along with their share of markets.
- Identification and analysis of macro and micro factors that affect the North America whey protein market on both global and regional scale.
- A comprehensive list of key market players along with the analysis of their current strategic interests and key financial information.
- For getting a comprehensive overview of the North America whey protein market
- To gain wide-ranging information about the major players in this industry and the strategies adopted by them.
- To gain insight on major countries/regions where the industry is blooming and also to identify the untapped regions.
1.1 Research Methodology
1.2 Definition of the Market
1.3 Report Description
2. Key findings of the study
3. Market Overview
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Rising demand for dairy ingredients/alternatives
4.1.2 Health and wellness trends driving the need for supplemented diet
4.1.3 Busy lifestyle influencing the market trend for ready to drink products
4.2.1 High production cost
4.2.2 Health/safety concerns when use is not regulated
4.2.3 Undefined regulatory guidelines
4.3.1 Increasing prescription of supplements by doctors
4.3.2 Higher scope of application in personal care and sports nutrition
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. Market Segmentation
5.1 By Product Type
5.1.1 Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC)
5.1.2 Whey Protein Isolate (WPI)
5.1.3 Hydrolyzed Whey Protein (HWP)
5.2 By Application
5.2.1 Functional Foods
126.96.36.199 Infant Formula
188.8.131.52 Dairy Products
5.2.2 Functional Beverages
184.108.40.206 Wine Whey
5.2.3 Dietary Supplements
5.3 By Geography
5.3.1 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
6. Competitive Landscape
6.1 Mergers & Acquisitions
6.2 Joint Ventures
6.3 New Product Launches
6.4 Most active companies in the past five years
6.5 Market Share Analysis
7. Company Profiles
7.1 Agropur MSI,LLC
7.2 American Dairy Producrs Institiute
7.3 Arla Foods
7.5 DMK Group
7.6 Fontera Co-operative Group
7.7 Hilmar cheese company, inc
7.8 Davisco foods international Inc
7.9 Grande Cheese Company
7.10 Milk Specialities Global