Smart Meters and Smart Meter Systems are being deployed throughout the world, and utilities are continuing their efforts to improve grid reliability and promote energy efficiency while providing improved services to their customers. However, concerns have been raised regarding not only the accuracy, security and integrity of these meters, but also with respect to the potential impacts of radio frequency (RF) exposure on the public. This report provides a basic overview for understanding how the electric utility industry seeks to ensure the appropriate level of accuracy, safety, and security. It also makes evident that before being accepted and deployed Smart Meters must meet a number of national standards and comply with state and local codes designed to ensure proper operation, functionality and safety.
While there are technological differences between Smart Meters and older mechanical metering devices, the electric industry exercises the same due diligence and precision for ensuring the accuracy of Smart Meters as it has to older mechanical metering devices for revenue billing application. The accuracy of Smart Meters, both in development and practice, has been confirmed to improve on the older electro-mechanical meter technology. All meters, regardless of technology and design, are required to meet national standards such as ANSI C12 for meter accuracy and operation before being installed.
Several Smart Meter Systems operate by transmitting information wirelessly. However, this has raised some concern about the health effects of wireless signals on electric consumers and the general public. However, studies show the RF exposures of Smart Meters are lower compared to other common sources in the home and operate significantly below Federal Communications Commission (FCC) exposure limits. Additional discussions explain how the location, distance from the transmitter, shielding by meter enclosures, attenuation of building materials, direction of RF emissions, and transmit duty cycle significantly reduce exposure to consumers.
This Report Offers:
- Market definition for the specified topic along with identification of key drivers and restraints for the market.
- Market analysis for the global smart meters market, with region specific assessments and competition analysis on a global and regional scale.
- Identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenarios, rising prospective opportunities and identification of key companies which can influence the market on a global and regional scale.
- Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies along with their share of markets.
- Identification and analysis of the Macro and Micro factors that affect the global smart meters market on both global and regional scale.
- A comprehensive list of key market players along with the analysis of their current strategic interests and key financial information.
2. Research Methodology
3. South and Central America Smart Meters Market Overview
3.2 Market Demand to 2022
3.3 Recent Trends and Developments
3.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Rise in Smart Grid Deployment
4.1.2 Need for Improvement in Energy Efficiency
4.1.3 Energy Policies and Emission Control Strategies
4.2.1 Future Integration Issues
4.2.2 High Installation Costs Incurred by End-Users
4.3.1 Scope for New Technology Innovation
4.3.2 Tamper Proofing Technology
5. Supply Chain Analysis
6. Porters Five Force Analysis
6.1 Bargaining Power of Supplier
6.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
6.3 Threat of New Entrants
6.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
6.5 Degree of Competition
7. South and Central America Smart Meters Market Analysis, by Region
8. South and Central America Smart Meters Market Analysis, By Type
8.1 Smart Electricity Meters
8.1.2 Market Demand Forecast until 2022
8.2 Smart Gas Meters
8.2.2 Market Demand Forecast until 2022
8.3 Smart Water Meters
8.3.2 Market Demand Forecast until 2022
9. South and Central America Smart Meters Market Analysis, By Type
9.1.2 Market Demand Forecast until 2022
9.2.2 Market Demand Forecast until 2022
9.3.2 Market Demand Forecast until 2022
10. Key Company Analysis
10.1 Aclara Technologies LLC.
10.2 CIRCUTOR, S.A
10.3 Echelon Corporation
10.5 Holley Metering Limited
10.6 Honeywell International Inc.
10.7 Itron Inc.
10.12 Siemens AG
10.13 Silver Spring Networks
11. Competitive Landscape
11.1 Mergers & Acquisitions
11.2 Joint Ventures, Collaborations and Agreements
11.3 Market Share Analysis
12.1 Contact Us