China Unicom (Hong Kong) Limited (China Unicom) offers several services including mobile voice, fixed-line voice, value-added services, fixed-line broadband, data communications, and other telecommunications services. One of China Unicom’s objectives is to enhance its 4G and increase the network roll-out. The company is investing in infrastructure to increase its customer base and service revenue
Premium company strategy reports provide in-depth coverage of the performance and strategies of the world’s leading telecommunication companies. The reports detail company operations in key geographies as well as comprehensive analysis of each company’s growth strategy and financial performance. Furthermore the reports allow benchmarking company performance through the provision of key performance indicators including: subscriber volumes, subscriber churn, ARPU, and MoU.
Strong competitive position in fixed segment
The company leverages its fixed-line segment to drive growth. In the fixed segment, China Unicom has a market share of 26.4% in 2016. The company’s fixed subscriptions stood at 144.6 million in 2016 as compared to China Telecom’s 258.2 million in the same year. Although the company stands second in terms of fixed subscriptions, its continuous focus on offering innovative services has allowed it to gain a competitive advantage.
Weak competitive position in mobile services
Mobile services is one of the major growth drivers to the company’s total revenue. Although the company’s mobile service revenues reported an increase of 5.5% CAGR during 2012-2016 period, it lags behind competitors such as China Mobile and China Telecom, which posted CAGRs of 6.0% and 10.5% respectively in the same period. The relatively lower growth is due to its late entry into the 4G services market.
Advancements in LTE technology enable the company to provide effective services
China Unicom could leverage the growing demand of cloud computing. China is the largest and fastest growing market for cloud computing and IoT. The government is taking initiatives to boost the penetration of the IoT market in the country. China’s IoT market is expected grow from US$80,000 million in 2015 to US$166,000 million by 2020.
- Company Snapshot - details key indicators and rankings of China Unicom in terms of Subscribers, Revenue, and Market Share in the company’s key markets.
- Company SWOT Analysis - outlines China Unicom’s Strengths and Weaknesses, and Opportunities and Threats facing the company.
- Growth Strategies - understand China Unicom’s corporate goals and strategic initiatives and evaluate their outcomes.
- Company Performance and Competitive Landscape - analyze the company’s performance by business segment compared to other players across key markets on metrics such as such as Revenues, Customer Churn, MoU, and Subscribers.
- Key Developments - showcase China Unicom’s significant recent corporate events, changes, or product initiatives.
- How does China Unicom rank among telecommunication service providers in China and globally?
- What is the company’s market share in China?
- What are China Unicom‘s main growth strategies and how successful has the company been at implementing them?
- How has the company performed since 2012 in terms of Subscriber and Revenue growth, ARPS, Customer Churn, and MOU?
- How has China Unicom performed in comparison to competitors such as China Mobile, and China Telecom?
- What are China Unicom’s strengths and weaknesses and what opportunities and threats does it face?