Sweden’s telecom market is saturated. Mobile user penetration reached 80%, with growth potential due to increase with the adoption of new technologies through innovation. Mobile subscription base increased from 14.3 million in 2012 to 14.9 million in 2016, and had a subscription penetration level of 148.6% in 2016. It is expected to reach 16.9 million in 2021 with a corresponding penetration level of 158.1% in 2021 due to increased adoption of mobile phones and data usage.
Premium industry reports provide a comprehensive market view including sections on: industry risk & reward, key industry trends and drivers, industry SWOT analysis, industry benchmarking to compare key performance indicators with regional and global markets, competitive landscape, and innovation.
Data revenue to increase
Higher demand and usage of mobile data, along with the simultaneous adoption of smartphones, are expected to drive the rise in total mobile service revenues at a CAGR of 7.5% during the forecast period, to reach US$1,909 million by 2021. Given a penetration of 80% in 2016, the Sweden telecom market is still developing with mobile voice revenues at US$2,960.1 million in 2016, as opposed to mobile data revenues which registered US$1,331.4 million in the same year. Increased usage is expected to increase data revenues at a CAGR of 7.5% during the forecast period, while voice revenue is expected to decline at a CAGR of -4.0% over the same period.
Strong support from growth in postpaid subscriptions
Sweden is expected to have 16.9 million mobile subscriptions by 2021, growing at a CAGR of 2.6% during over the forecast period. This translates to the subscription density (% of population) increasing from 148.6% in 2016 to 158.1% in 2021. Postpaid mobile subscriptions at 11.3 million outnumbered prepaid at 3.5 million in 2016. Also, postpaid subscriptions are expected to grow at a CAGR of 4.0% during 2016-21, while prepaid are expected to decline at a CAGR of -2.5% over the same period.
Increase in adoption of LTE
UMTS is currently the leading technology platforms for mobile subscription. Many players have already adopted these platforms to offer better services. However, with increase in penetration and auction of the 1800MHz band, subscriptions based on the Long Term Evolution (LTE) platform are expected to pick up. In 2016, there were more than 3.5 million LTE users in the country and this is expected to increase to 10.0 million in 2021.
- Risk/Reward Index - enables you to assess the risks and potential rewards of investing in the Swedish Telecommunications market in comparison with other European countries.
- Industry Snapshot and Industry View - Key Telecommunications Industry Statistics including fixed/mobile revenue, subscriptions, churn, market share, and ARPS are analyzed to reveal the key issues and trends driving market performance in the Swedish Telecommunications market.
- Industry SWOT Analysis - Discover the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats impacting market performance and investment in the Swedish Telecommunications market.
- Industry Benchmarking - Benchmark how the Swedish telecommunications market is performing compared to regional and global markets in terms of fixed or mobile revenue, subscriptions, ARPS, penetration, and usage to gauge potential for growth or market entry.
- Competitive Landscape - Analyze and compare the performance of the leading players in the Swedish Telecommunications market by business segment on metrics such as such as churn, ARPU, and subscriber and revenue growth.
- What markets have shown the biggest CARG in the Swedish telecommunications industry since 2012?
- What opportunities do new entrants have in Sweden’s telecommunication market?
- What trends are being witnessed within the Swedish Telecommunications industry?
- What are the Swedish Telecommunications industry’s Strengths and Weaknesses and what Opportunities and Threats does it face?
- How does the Swedish government plan to drive market growth?