MTN provides mobile services and comprehensive voice, text messaging, and data services. Key services of the company include data solutions, BlackBerry services, banking services, mobile TV, international roaming, electronic voucher distribution (EVD), caller tunes, MTN Zone, Play and mobile money. The company has a strong presence in South Africa and Nigeria with a total subscriber base of over 93 million in 2016.
Premium company strategy reports provide in-depth coverage of the performance and strategies of the world’s leading telecommunication companies. The reports detail company operations in key geographies as well as comprehensive analysis of each company’s growth strategy and financial performance. Furthermore the reports allow benchmarking company performance through the provision of key performance indicators including: subscriber volumes, subscriber churn, ARPU, and MoU.
Strong market presence in South Africa & Nigeria
MTN capitalizes on its strong market presence in South Africa and Nigeria. Despite increasing competition, MTN Nigeria continues to lead the mobile market with 39.5% market share. In FY2016, MTN Nigeria had 63.2 million subscriptions, followed by MTN South Africa with 31% market share and 30.8 million mobile subscriptions
Weak competitive position in fixed segment
The company has limited competitive edge in fixed segment, which could be a cause of concern for the company. Although, the company’s fixed subscriptions in South Africa posted a CAGR of 18.4% during 2012-2016, it still lags behind competitors such as Telkom, Neotel, MWEB, and Internet Solutions
Mergers and acquisitions to widen its reach in the market
The company is pursuing inorganic growth strategies to expand its presence in the market. In 2017, MTN Group announced the purchase of a 49% stake in Iranian Net, an Iranian-owned fixed broadband provider for US$36.7 million. The company is expected to make further investments valuing US$231.4 million.
- Company Snapshot - details key indicators and rankings of MTN Group in terms of Subscribers, Revenue, and Market Share in the company’s key markets.
- Company SWOT Analysis - outlines MTN Group’s Strengths and Weaknesses, and Opportunities and Threats facing the company.
- Growth Strategies - understand MTN Group’s corporate goals and strategic initiatives and evaluate their outcomes.
- Company Performance and Competitive Landscape - analyze the company’s performance by business segment compared to other players across key markets on metrics such as such as Revenues, Customer Churn, MoU, and Subscribers.
- Key Developments - showcase MTN Group’s significant recent corporate events, changes, or product initiatives.
- How does MTN Group rank among telecommunication service providers in Africa and globally?
- What is the company’s market share in South Africa and Nigeria?
- What are MTN Group‘s main growth strategies and how successful has the company been at implementing them?
- How has the company performed since 2012 in terms of Subscriber and Revenue growth, ARPS, Customer Churn, and MOU?
- How has MTN Group performed in comparison to competitors such as Vodacom and Cell C?
- What are MTN Group’s strengths and weaknesses and what opportunities and threats does it face?