Berne/Bern canton is one of the 26 cantons in Switzerland. The canton covers a total area of 5,840km2 and consists of 10 administrative districts. The canton is home to 1.04 million people and accounts for 12.3% of Switzerland’s population. The depreciation of Swiss currency since mid-2017 and improvement in domestic demand are expected to be major drivers of canton’s economy growth.
“City Profile - Bern” provides historical and forecast data on key city level metrics along with analytical coverage of the latest political, economic, social, technological, infrastructural, legal and environmental issues affecting Bern. The report contains detailed tourism, retail, construction, technology and public infrastructure data and insight into economic, social, and industry trends.
- The service sector remains the key contributor to the canton’s economy - and the major employer.
- Bern is a key tourist destination for both domestic and international tourists. Strong performance is observed in the construction sector with increasing employment, number of building permits issued and building completions.
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of future economic and demographic trends and understand the performance of various sectors within the city.
- Analyze and understand the business environment in the city to align your investment and expansion strategies.
- The report helps to drive a conclusion in choosing a suitable city to invest or expand according to your business structure.
- Explore new opportunities in the hospitality, tourism, construction, real estate and retail sectors.
Technology and Infrastructure
Internal Transport Networks
Business Environment Analysis
Travel and Tourism
Construction and Real Estate
Real Estate Market
Consumption, Income and Prices
Ask the analyst
About the Author
List of Tables
Table 1: Berne canton - key facts (estimates), 2017
Table 2: Berne canton - real GDP growth, 2000-25
Table 3: Berne canton - economic growth comparison, (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Table 4: Berne canton - GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25 (US$)
Table 5: Berne canton - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 6: Berne canton - main universities, 2017
Table 7: Berne canton - population comparison, 2000-25 (million)
Table 8: Berne canton - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 9: Berne canton - mass transit network indicators, 2017
Table 10: Berne canton - key indicators of Bern-Belp airport, 2011-17
Table 11: Berne city - office rents, Q4 2017
Table 12: Berne canton - tourism indicators (number), 2013-17
Table 13: Berne canton - international arrivals by country of residence (number), 2013-17
Table 14: Berne canton - hotel indicators, 2013-17
Table 15: Berne canton - overnight stays by international arrivals by country of residence (number), 2013-17
Table 16: Berne canton - UNESCO World Heritage Sites
Table 17: Berne canton - MICE and other events
List of Figures
Figure 1: Berne canton - real GDP growth, 2000-25
Figure 2: Berne canton - economic growth comparison, (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Figure 3: Berne canton - GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25
Figure 4: Berne canton - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Figure 5: Berne canton - population comparison, 2000-25
Figure 6: Berne canton - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)