The report "Service Station Retailing in Germany 2017", provides an executive-level overview of the German service station market today, with values and volumes up to 2017. It delivers quantitative and qualitative insight into the fuel market, based on in depth interviews with major fuel operators across Europe and proprietary data from our service station retail databases. It provides: National Fuel Volumes (2012 to 2022e) and Values. Breakdown of the top five fuel retailers shop, car wash, company owned motorway and unmanned sites.
The total number of service stations in Germany marginally rose by 0.3% to 14,420 sites in 2016. Aral has the largest service station network, at 2,335 sites, amounting to 16.2% of the national network. In 2016, three of the top five fuel retailers, divested low volume service stations from their networks .The top five fuel retailers -Aral, Shell, Jet, TOTAL and Esso accounted for 50.0% of service stations in Germany in 2016.
As of 2016, 91.1% of service stations in Germany featured a shop. The top five fuel retailers in Germany accounted for 51.5% of the number of service station shops in the country. Aral is the leading player in the service station shop market, with 94.2% of its 2,335 sites featuring a shop. 16.7% of all service station sites with a shop are TOTAL branded.
71.7% of service stations in Germany feature a car wash. The total numbers of service stations with a car wash in Germany increased by 0.4% to 10,344 sites. Shell has the largest number of service stations with a car wash in the country, at 1,929 sites, amounting to 18.6% of the national network. Of the top five players,, Shell and TOTAL were the only top five retailers that divested sites with a car wash at their networks in 2016.
Companies mentioned in this report: Aral, Shell, TOTAL, Jet, Star (Orlen), Tamoil
- Total fuel consumption in Germany increased by 1.8% in 2016 compared to the previous year.
- Aral has the largest service station network, at 2,335 sites, amounting to 16.2% of the national network.
- The total number of service stations with a car wash in Germany increased by 0.4% to 10,344 sites. The total number of service stations with a shop marginally increased by 1.1% to 13,141 sites.
- Identify who are the top five players in Germany and how many fuel outlets, motorway & unmanned sites, shops & car wash they have.
- Plan effect market strategies by uncovering market share and average fuel throughput per site of the top five players in the market.
- Understand how the service station network evolving and which players are opening new outlets as well as incresing forecourt shops and car washes.
- Identify what strategies the key players have across their fuel and non- fuel offerings in terms of products sold, branding, promotions, partnerships and suppliers used.
Service Station Market Overview
Competitor ranking in 2015 compared to 2016
Service Station Shop Network
Service Station Car Wash Network