The report "Service Station Retailing in France 2017", provides an executive-level overview of the French service station market today, with values and volumes up to 2017. It delivers quantitative and qualitative insight into the fuel market, based on in depth interviews with major fuel operators across Europe and proprietary data from ourservice station retail databases. It provides: National Fuel Volumes (2012 to 2022e) and Values. Breakdown of the top five fuel retailers shop, car wash, company owned motorway and unmanned sites.
The total number of service stations in France marginally declined by 0.2% about 11,380 sites in 2016. TOTAL has the largest service station network, at 3,700 sites, amounting to 32.5% of the national network. In 2016, four of the top five fuel retailers, all expand their service station networks. The top five fuel retailers -TOTAL, Intermarché, Carrefour, Système U and Leclerc accounted for 67.2% of service stations in France in 2016.
As of 2016, 30.0% of service stations in France featured a shop. The total number of service stations with a shop marginally declined by 0.1% about 3,417 sites. TOTAL is the leading player in the service station shop market, with 68.0% of its 3,700 sites featuring a shop. 73.6% of all service station sites with a shop are TOTAL branded.
Of the top five players,, TOTAL was the only top five retailer that divested sites with a car wash at its network in 2016. Only three of the top five players in the French market have car wash installations within their network in France.
Companies mentioned in this report: TOTAL, intermarche, Auchan, BP.
- Total fuel consumption in France increased by 11.3% in 2016 compared to the previous year.
- TOTAL has the largest service station network, at 3,700 sites, amounting to 32.5% of the national network.
- The total number of service stations with a car wash in France decreased by 2.0% to 2,199 sites.
- TOTAL is the leading player in the service station shop market, with 68.0% of its 3,700 sites featuring a shop. 73.6% of all service station sites with a shop are TOTAL branded.
- Identify who are the top five players in France and how many fuel outlets, motorway & unmanned sites, shops & car wash they have.
- Plan effect market strategies by uncovering market share and average fuel throughput per site of the top five players in the market.
- Understand how the service station network evolving and which players are opening new outlets as well as incresing forecourt shops and car washes.
- Identify what strategies the key players have across their fuel and non- fuel offerings in terms of products sold, branding, promotions, partnerships and suppliers used.
Service Station Market Overview
Competitor ranking in 2015 compared to 2016
Service Station Shop Network
Service Station Car Wash Network