Total fuel consumption in Austria declined by 0.8% in 2016 compared to the previous year. Volume sales of petrol marginally declined in 2016, falling by only 0.1%. Diesel consumption also fell by 0.9%. Fuel prices continued to decline in Austria and in Europe, the price of petrol in 2016 declined by 2.7%, however diesel prices marginally grew by 0.7%. The value of fuel sales has declined annually since 2013, and continued this trend in 2016 falling by 1.1% to €7,489m. In Austria, fuel consumption is expected to marginally rise towards 2022 as vehicle parc increases over this period.
The total number of service stations in Austria marginally grew by 1.2% to 2,673 sites in 2016. OMV has the largest service station network, at 319 sites. In 2016, OMV was the only top five fuel retailer to add sites to its network as it purchased the Hofer unmanned network. The top five fuel retailers -OMV, Agip, BP, Shell and Genol accounted for 52.3% of service stations in Austria in 2016.
As of 2015, 57.2% of service stations in Austria featured a shop. The total number of service stations with a shop increased by 2.6% to 74.0% of all sites with a shop is operated by the top five fuel retail brands in Austria. Agip (Eni) is the leading player in the service station shop market, with 97.5% of its 319 sites featuring a shop. 20.4% of all service station sites with a shop are Agip (Eni) branded.
Agip (Eni) has the largest number of service stations with a car wash in the country, at 217 sites, amounting to 18.5% of the national network. 43.8% of service stations in Austria feature a car wash. The total number of service stations with a car washes in Austria increased by 1.0% to 1,170 sites. Of the top five players,, OMV was the only top five retailer that accrued sites with a car wash at its network in 2016. All of the top five players in the Austrian market have car wash installations within their network in Austria.
The report "Service Station Retailing in Austria 2017", provides an executive-level overview of the Austrian service station market today, with values and volumes up to 2017. It delivers quantitative and qualitative insight into the fuel market, based on in depth interviews with major fuel operators across Europe and proprietary data from our service station retail databases. It provides: National Fuel Volumes (2012 to 2022e) and Values. Breakdown of the top five fuel retailers shop, car wash, company owned motorway and unmanned sites.
Companies mentioned in this report: OMV, Agip (Eni), Shell, BP, Avia,Genol.
- Total fuel consumption in Austria declined by 0.8% in 2016 compared to the previous year.
- OMV has the largest service station network, at 319 sites, amounting to 11.9% of the national network.
- The top five retailers in Austria made up 74.0% of service station shop sites in 2016, with OMV representing over 20.4% of all sites. 43.8% of service stations in Austria feature a car wash.
- Identify who are the top five players in Austria and how many fuel outlets, motorway & unmanned sites, shops & car wash they have.
- Plan effect market strategies by uncovering market share and average fuel throughput per site of the top five players in the market.
- Understand how the service station network evolving and which players are opening new outlets as well as incresing forecourt shops and car washes.
- Identify what strategies the key players have across their fuel and non- fuel offerings in terms of products sold, branding, promotions, partnerships and suppliers used.
Service Station Market Overview
Competitor ranking in 2015 compared to 2016
Service Station Shop Network
Service Station Car Wash Network