The report "Service Station Retailing in the UK 2017", provides an executive-level overview of the UK service station market today, with values and volumes up to 2017. It delivers quantitative and qualitative insight into the fuel market, based on in depth interviews with major fuel operators across Europe and proprietary data from our service station retail databases. It provides: National Fuel Volumes (2012 to 2022e) and Values. Breakdown of the top five fuel retailers shop, car wash, company owned motorway and unmanned sites.
The total number of service stations in the UK declined by 2.7% about 8,489 sites in 2016. BP has the largest service station network, at 1,281 sites, amounting to 15.1% of the national network. In 2016, four of the top five fuel retailers, added new service stations to their networks. The top five fuel retailers -Tesco, BP, Shell, Esso and Sainsburys accounted for 48,9% of service stations in the UK in 2016.
As of 2016, 86.6% of service stations in the UK featured a shop. The total number of service stations with a shop marginally decreased by 2.8% about 7,348 sites. The top five fuel retailers in the UK accounted for 56.3% of the number of service station shops in the country. BP is the leading player in the service station shop market, with 99.9% of its 1,281 sites featuring a shop. 17.4% of all service station sites with a shop are BP branded.
62.2% of service stations in the UK feature a car wash. The total numbers of service stations with a car wash in the UK increased by 3.6% to 5,277 sites. BP has the largest number of service stations with a car wash in the country, at 769 sites, amounting to 14.6% of the national network. Of the top five players, Tesco was the only top five retailer that divested sites with a car wash in its network in 2016.
Companies mentioned in this report: Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, ASDA, BP.
- Total fuel consumption in the UK increased by 1.3% in 2016 compared to the previous year.
- BP has the largest service station network, at 1,281 sites, amounting to 15.1% of the national network.
- The total number of service stations with a car wash in the UK increased by 3.6% to 5,277 sites. The total number of service stations with a shop marginally decreased by 2.8% to 7,348 sites.
- Identify who are the top five players in the UK and how many fuel outlets, motorway & unmanned sites, shops & car wash they have.
- Plan effect market strategies by uncovering market share and average fuel throughput per site of the top five players in the market.
- Understand how the service station network evolving and which players are opening new outlets as well as incresing forecourt shops and car washes.
- Identify what strategies the key players have across their fuel and non- fuel offerings in terms of products sold, branding, promotions, partnerships and suppliers used.
Service Station Market Overview
Competitor ranking in 2015 compared to 2016
Service Station Shop Network
Service Station Car Wash Network