The report “Service Station Retail Spain Report 2017” provides an executive-level overview of the Spain service station market today, with values and volumes up to 2017. It delivers quantitative and qualitative insight into the fuel market, based on in depth interviews with major fuel operators across Europe and proprietary data from our service station retail databases. It provides: National Fuel Volumes (2012 to 2022e) and Values. Breakdown of the top five fuel retailers shop, car wash, company owned motorway and unmanned sites.
Repsol has the largest service station network, at 3,544 sites, amounting to 31.7% of the national network. In 2016, two of the top five fuel retailers, divested service stations from their networks. The top five fuel retailers -Repsol, Cepsa, BP, Galp and Shell (Disa) accounted for 61.3% of service stations in Spain in 2016.
As of 2016, 79.2% of service stations in Spain featured a shop. The total number of service stations with a shop rose by 4.6% to 8,856 sites. The top five fuel retailers in Spain accounted for 61.2% of the number of service station shops in the country. Repsol is the leading player in the service station shop market, with 85.6% of its 3,544 sites featuring a shop. 34.2% of all service station sites with a shop are Repsol branded.
44.0% of service stations in Spain feature a car wash. The total numbers of service stations with a car wash in Spain decreased by 9.4% to 4,921 sites. Repsol has the largest number of service stations with a car wash in the country, at 2,090 sites, amounting to 42.5% of the national network. Of the top five players, Cepsa and Repsol were the only top five retailers that decreased the number of sites with a car wash in their networks in 2016.
Companies mentioned in this report: Shell, Texaco, TOTAL, BP, Avia, Esso, Tinq (Gulf), Tamoil.
- Total fuel consumption in Spain increased by 7.7% in 2016 compared to the previous year.
- The top five fuel retailers -Repsol, Cepsa, BP, Galp and Shell (Disa) accounted for 61.3% of service stations in Spain in 2016.
- The total number of service stations with a shop rose by 4.6% to 8,856 sites. The total number of service stations with a car wash in Spain decreased by 9.4% to 4,921 sites.
- Identify who are the top five players in Spain and how many fuel outlets, motorway & unmanned sites, shops & car wash they have.
- Plan effect market strategies by uncovering market share and average fuel throughput per site of the top five players in the market.
- Understand how the service station network evolving and which players are opening new outlets as well as incresing forecourt shops and car washes.
- Identify what strategies the key players have across their fuel and non- fuel offerings in terms of products sold, branding, promotions, partnerships and suppliers used.
Service Station Market Overview
Competitor ranking in 2015 compared to 2016
Service Station Shop Network
Service Station Car Wash Network